Despite shitty economy, unemployed Americans refuse to take farm jobs

Discussion in 'Economics' started by MohdSalleh, Sep 27, 2010.

1. How is that lazy? Who would turn down getting paid more for not working that earning less going to work and of course I am not including the cost of gasoline etc..

She does not sound too different from a trader. All she is doing is taking advantage of an arbitrage situation. Only a fool would turn down a good risk free arb.

#31     Sep 28, 2010
  2. Come November, her unemployment will stop, and with 2 years of being unemployed, not many companies will hire her. She lives on her own in an apartment and has only $4k in the bank, which she will use up in 2 months, and then be flat broke with no unemployment benefits. What happens then? If she gets welfare and food stamps, she most likely won't be able to stay in her nice rented 2 bedroom condo. I guess she will have to get used to living in a dump. I'm sure many people in this country are in the same boat though...unemployment runs out, no savings, no job to be found, pretty scary.

#32     Sep 28, 2010
  3. If passed, what happens after 20 weeks? If someone hasn't found a job in 99 weeks, they probably won't find one in 20 additional weeks. I guess all they can do is keep trying to extend unemployment benefits forever.

#33     Sep 28, 2010
  4. They have become the political party of the disenfranchised. These type of measures are nothing more than voter bribery. "Unless you vote for us, your food stamps, unemployment, section 8, free healthcare, etc, etc...will be revoked".

#34     Sep 28, 2010
  5. I have friends that previously voted with this same mentality, but now realize things aren't getting better they are worse off.

So real change is required. I am talking to them about why they should vote Libertarian and if they are in Colorado vote Tancredo American Constitution Party.

#35     Sep 28, 2010
  6. drcha

drcha

This is outrageous. Who the fuck is going to pick the grapes for my 2010 Pinot Noirs? My cellar will suffer. Something needs to be done about this.

#36     Sep 28, 2010
  7. Been years since I collected UE but it went like this: You had to answer a few questions on- line each week to remain qualified.

Ex

Did you look for work? Yes or no?

Did you refuse a job offer? Yes or no?

Are you able to work? Yes or No?

Are you telling the truth? Yes or No?

Has your address changed? Yes or No?

That was about it.

#37     Sep 28, 2010
  8. Unemployed in Cali..the new american dream :D

#38     Sep 28, 2010
  9. jasonc

jasonc

A true American went and took a farm job, here is him talking about it
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k1T75jBYeCs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k1T75jBYeCs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

#39     Sep 28, 2010
  10. Like in India, farming is considered to be menial job in America.

#40     Sep 29, 2010