Designing your subconscious state

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Riskmanager, Oct 1, 2005.

1. 3rdocagt

3rdocagt

Mike805

I wouldn't waste any time being concerned that a large number of people will actually take the effort needed to master anything ...let alone their minds...that's been my anecdotal experience in life.

When I talk to people that you must master yourself not the market....I get the most glazed over looks you can imagine.

And these folks are not dolts...MD's DDS's DVM's... they are all looking for that "Holy Grail" system....when perhaps the "Holy Grail" really is inside you.

I really believe that the market is a mirror of what you want. If you want to win, you will find a way to win. It is absolutely terrifying for a trader to think that they are losing because they have some hidden need to lose.

#11     Oct 1, 2005
  2. fstrader

fstrader

Really great points there. But I think they act of "wanting" something, per se, is psychologically damaging. The very act of wanting something pushes it away from you. What you need is more than a sense of "want". You need to already believe in the outcome you wanted. You have to live as though it were already a fact and there is no alternative.

As for altering one's state of mind to be more conducive to trading. Passively listening to music, definitely won't hurt. But the real goal should be to consciously control your own mind. It takes concentrated effort to achieve effortless meditation. I don't think there is a worthwhile shortcut.

#12     Oct 1, 2005
  3. too many mark douglass nerds in here

#13     Oct 1, 2005
  4. Psychology isn't the holy grail. It's simply a means of moving closer to full potential. Working out your demons might improve your golf game, but it won't get you on the PGA tour.

If all traders mastered their psychology, personal honesty would allow many to realize that they were not meant to be traders, others would realize they never had proper motivation for trading in the first place, and still others would realize they don't want success badly enough to do what it takes.

And the markets would still be inefficient, b/c EMH is based on theoretical assumptions that never held merit in the first place. The "efficient market" is an academic unicorn.

#14     Oct 2, 2005
  5. gryphes

gryphes

There is plenty of research regarding brain wave entrainment using binaural beat frequencies. Simple machines like the Nova Pro 100 can induce altered states of consciousness. There are others but have played around with the Nova and found the technology impressive. You can pick from the five different EEG frequency bands and march to your own drummer.

#15     Oct 3, 2005
  6. duard

duard

Nerves learn. That is what they do. Muscles contract, that is what they do. Mitochondria metabolize and produce chemical energy that is what they do.

Why make this point. Because nerves learn that is what they do. They can't help it they'll learn even if we don't want them to, i.e. conditioning. That is to say they can be trained to do most anything-- even pathologic impulses can be trained. So it is important to train your nerves correctly for the task at hand. Batters practice batting in cages. Golfers use the driving range.

So training your mind is very important if nothing else to remain in a calm focused productive mindframe while trading.

#16     Oct 3, 2005
  7. 1penguin

1penguin

What about BrainWave Generator? Looks like a decent product. Also, since we're on topic, is there a product that can help you to use both of your brain's hemispheres simultaneously? I've been searching the web several times, but couldn't come up with anything.

#17     Oct 3, 2005
  8. omniscient

omniscient Guest

while i'll let those more educated expand on the topic, i will say that modern research indicates that you do use hemispheres simultaneously. one hemisphere/lobe is better suited (and therefore, more relied upon) for certain tasks and other areas are better suited for other tasks. however, they work in concert, as most tasks are not purely one-dimensional. one might take the lead, but it automatically depends on ancillary support.

i was going to come up with an analogy, but decided against it. keep both sides (and it's actually more than just Left vs. Right) sharp and cooperative. fight mental atrophy. do things good for your body and brain.

i know this wasn't the answer you sought, but keep it in 'mind' in your search.

take care :)

omni

#18     Oct 3, 2005
  9. gryphes

gryphes

Don't know anything about Brainwave Generator. But it's kind of like the old zen saying, don't confuse the pointing finger with the direction. Give it a test run. If it works, one method is just as good as another.

#19     Oct 3, 2005
  10. I believe what you are saying is that information and its application is based on an individuals interpretation of said information?

Couple of points that I can possibly argue: energy is never "lost", it simply keeps degenerating (towards entropy) into heat - heat produces infrared wavelengths of light and the cycle repeats... Also, 1/3 of 99 is 33 - fractions are meant to capture relationships - not precise measures (keep multiplying 1/2 by 1/2 forever and you will get no result).

Anyway, that all seems tangental.

Will psychological irrationalities ever become extinct? There seems to be further and further progress in the areas of behavioral economics. "Mean Markets and Lizard Brains" is an example of how useless behaviors are already being identified and "phased-out" with practice and behavior modification. The title of this thread intrigued me because it suggested that it is possible to modify your subconscious - a trend I am seeing in many trading journals and literature. Not that this is easy by any means but it may mean that markets become much more difficult to trade in the future due to the fact that more people will begin to exploit these useful ideas.

#20     Oct 3, 2005