Designing an Automated Trading Program

Discussion in 'Journals' started by expiated, Dec 16, 2018.

1. They

They

Expiated,

Seems like what you are trying to do with all of the MAs could be mimicked more simply running a few ATR/Volatility stops. See image below.

Three ATR levels.PNG

#51     Dec 25, 2018
    expiated likes this.
  2. qlai

qlai

I am not using this platform either, but it sounds like @expiated got it correctly. EA will only do signals and the charting software will do the display. They should generally be in sync as they should use same data source. You would rarely want/allowed to implement the GUI portion yourself.

#52     Dec 25, 2018
  3. userque

userque

Yeah, I covered that possibility when I said, "...So, I would bet big money that an EA can be coded to plot the indicators it uses to trade (or, it can be done 'outside' of the EA--but still accomplished). ..."

But to clarify, it seemed to me that the OP was unable to see how to accomplish a plot of the indicator used by the EA in any circumstance. So I indicated that I thought it could probably by an EA, but certainly by the method mention in the link I posted from the mt5 forum.

Now, I'm curious, if it can't be accomplished by an EA "alone;" but can be accomplish 'separately'--as you and I both indicate--is that a problem? If so, how would that be problematic.

Doing it 'separately' seems to be an intended part of their framework.

#53     Dec 25, 2018
  4. expiated

expiated

The guy in the video said it can be done and he mentioned two different ways it could be accomplished, but both of them required going outside of the EA itself.

#54     Dec 25, 2018
    userque likes this.
  5. expiated

expiated

It wouldn't be necessarily. It just depends on one's point of view, diligence, etc.

#55     Dec 25, 2018
    userque likes this.
  6. expiated

expiated

Thanks for the input. I (briefly) tried searching YouTube for examples, but nothing caught my fancy. When I'm not conducting research, I trade with an 80% to 100% daily success rate, but when I mention this, people usually react as if I'm full of baloney, or contend that I won't be successful over the long haul.

This leads me to view other systems with great skepticism based on the assumption that the difficulty others have believing my approach might be valid is a measure of how far away established systems are from generating similar results. Consequently, it is only after I see the use of a few ATR/Volatility stops demonstrated in real time with great results that I am likely to become motivated to look into it further. But thanks for the tip, nonetheless!

#56     Dec 25, 2018
    They and qlai like this.
  7. expiated

expiated

ScreenHunter_2876 Dec. 26 11.40.jpg
    Almost everything about this system suggested that EURJPY ought to be heading north from the 126.02 level, so I purchased two in-the-money NADEX binary option call contracts in a demo account with a strike price of 125.80 and an absolutely atrocious reward-to-risk ratio; which will return a payout of a measly 20 bucks (approximately) at expiry if the trade is successful.

ScreenHunter_2877 Dec. 26 11.43.jpg

#57     Dec 26, 2018
  8. expiated

expiated

Here is documentation of what I call the "stupidity" of the NADEX platform. My contracts are way in-the-money just four minutes before expiry, yet their system says the contracts currently have a negative value!

ScreenHunter_2878 Dec. 26 11.55.jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    #58     Dec 26, 2018
  9. expiated

expiated

Though the intraday trend is bullish, as a day trader, I have to base my actions on the immediate trend, and the four (proprietary) moving averages I have decided, in the final analysis, to rely on to direct my actions told me to sell USDCHF @ 0.9947. So I am hoping to bank at least about 10-pips worth of profit before the pair decides to rejoin the more dominant trend in heading north (if indeed that is what it ultimately decides to do).

ScreenHunter_2881 Dec. 26 16.18.jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    #59     Dec 26, 2018
  10. expiated

expiated

EURUSD has a bearish intraday trend, so I want to short the pair as soon as candlesticks begin forming below the yellow moving averages.

ScreenHunter_2882 Dec. 26 16.49.jpg

#60     Dec 26, 2018