Designers agog over what color broom Michelle flies, turns to disappointment

Discussion in 'Politics' started by fhl, Apr 7, 2009.

1. fhl

fhl

Designers flay Michelle's fashion showdown in Europe

London (PTI): The much drumrolled U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama's fashion showdown on her first overseas visit to Europe has been criticised by top American designers, with some complaining she chose to completely ignore their outfits.

Ms. Obama has mixed her sartorial sources during her first foreign foray — switching between young foreign-born American designers such as Jason Wu and Isobel Toledo, her high street look from J. Crew and new foreign names such as Azzedine Alaia (Tunisian-French) and Watanabe (Japanese). But missing are the big names who have dominated the U.S. industry for years.

The result — some of them are unhappy. And, leading the criticism was Oscar de la Renta, a favourite of several former first ladies.

"American fashion right now is struggling. I think I understand what (Ms. Obama and her advisers) are doing but I don't think that is the right message at this particular point. I do not object to the fact that Obama is wearing J. Crew to whatever because the diversity of America is what makes this country great.

"But there are a lot of great designers out there. I think it's wrong to go in one direction only. You don't... go to Buckingham Palace in a sweater," Ms. Renta told the Women's Wear Daily, known as the "fashion industry bible".

Vera Wang, another famous name who has yet to be used by the U.S. First Lady, struck a slightly wistful note. "I love seeing young designers and their vision and how they grow. On the other hand, I wish she would consider some of us, because I think we also have contributions to make," she said.

However, Donna Karan remained hopeful that her moment would come. "I hope and believe this is just a moment. I hope to be able to dress her and not only dress her but address her, sit down -- I'm interested in her totality as a woman," The Daily Telegraph quoted her as telling the U.S. magazine.

Bridgey Foley, Executive Editor of WWD, a must-read in American fashion circles, has added her own message to Ms. Obama.

"Like the auto and financial industries, fashion is in crisis. Yet the person in the administration best positioned to support its major players — those whose collective vicissitudes play into the economy in a considerable way and whose individual swings of fortune impact the lives of countless working people up and down the supply chain and their families — is giving them the cold shoulder.

"And we don't mean Donna Karan's. No one's asking for a big-gun bailout, Mrs O (at least not yet). But how about a shout-out?" she wrote.

2. Yawn.

3. Lucrum

Lucrum

You know if you didn't spend your evenings prostituting yourself on a street corner you wouldn't be so sleepy all day.

But then I bet you have a wardrobe that would put the first lady's to shame don't you?

4. Why would you actually give a Rat's Arse" about what the First Lady wears, or were you bummed that it didn't contain enough criticism for your "pea-brain" neo-con views?

It's absolutely amazing that YOU and your ET "neo-con" Bush-loving brethren have now stooped to such absurd levels as to "cut and paste" fashion designer whining.

Is that all you got BIG BOY???

BWWWWAWAAAAAHAAAAAAAA!!!

:D

5. Look for Michelle Obama to run for president in 2020...after serving in the Senate for the State of New York. Obama will open up a law office in Harlem.

Will Condi Rice be too old by then to run against Michelle Obama?

:D

6. Thanks for that fashion update, fhl. What colors and fabrics are stylish this season?

7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Oh I don't care what Hussein's bitch wears.

Neo-Con, as in neoconservative? Paleoconservative probably describes me more accurately.

Borrowing some of YOUR fucked up logic in the PM's you sent. Apparently I struck a nerve mentioning your ladies wardrobe.
    It's the 21st century. It's OK for you to come out of the closet, so to speak.