Derivatives for capital loss realization-Canada

Discussion in 'Economics' started by jasonc, Jan 10, 2010.

  1. jasonc


    In canada to experience a capital loss you need to sell the stock or asset and you, your spouse or a corporation controlled by you cannot buy it within 31 days. I was wondering if you could sell the stock but then buy some derivative contract like a stock option, or ftock futures to essentially still have the same exposure to the stock but still be able to use the loss. Anyone know? thanks