Depth of ES Market

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by LizardHead1, Nov 22, 2002.

1. They

They

I don't trade this but I have noticed in the Emini if you have > 3 to 1 on the cumulative ask over bid(say 2000+ ask over 600- bid) price will move up - exact opposite of a newbie's read of level 2

Could be exploited by a program that read e-mini depth of market

You could be right though it might just be Meteoox playing games

#11     Nov 24, 2002
  2. I said they were real, not that they meant a dang thing. :p

#12     Nov 24, 2002
  3. new on this site... but glad I got referred; some real valauble stuff here, and good people so it seems. Always wanted to set up a trading club/team in Chi for off-floor traders... U know. shares ideas, pontificate, ruminate, philosophize, coach, mentor one other, etc.

I'm mainly position trade options on equities and indexes, and do various strategies. Have had fairly consistent and good success with indexes. Also trade stocks.. and looking to do more "day trading" in the new year.

Anyway, just was curious having read your posts for a while.... why you say "but above all you gotta do size". Think that might be a topic for an entire thread.. but if U got time, would appreciate elaboration on your view.

Thanks

IM

#13     Dec 18, 2002
  4. Flow

Flow

Most times I would say that the depth for the ES and NQ are about as useless as tits on a bull, but there are certain times when they can serve as a solid tell...

Overall I would rather have it -- than not, but using it as a solo tool to enter and exit positions would be a very futile endeavor IMO...

PEACE and good-trading

#14     Dec 18, 2002
  5. Spark

Spark

if someone is on ask side with 1000 or 700 contracts somewhere in the emini depth L2 @x dollar price, put a buy stop order 1 point further up. then you will know wheter that sell is for real or not. If that volume is consumed, the seller of that volume will hurry up to cover his short fueling the price further up. I have not tried it but just 2 cents

#15     Dec 19, 2002
  6. skim

skim

I do have the size on my TWS screen, but for one use only - to know that I'm still receiving live prices. Sometimes the bid/ask moves so slowly (during lunch, for example) that it's handy to know that all's well.

#16     Dec 19, 2002
  7. I don't see how bid/ask is of any consequence if you aren't a scalper. Volume on the 5 minute chart would be much more usefull.

#17     Dec 19, 2002
  8. Other than as a visual indicator of activity (visual squawk box), i don't think it's of much use.

#18     Dec 19, 2002