Depression?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by killthesunshine, Feb 3, 2009.

1. you seem to think that since you experienced depression from afar that you somehow know all the questions and have the answers.

you are not alone. maybe some of US have experienced this FIRST HAND.

your personal experience (aS bad as it has might have been or be) does NOT preclude objective discussion of the same.

sorry for your exp[eriences but maybe your a bit too close for objective examination??

#11     Feb 3, 2009
  2. or a fifth cause, they made 1259 useless posts on a messageboard since Jul 2008

#12     Feb 3, 2009
  3. Why don't you just choose a different word to express what you mean like disappointment or this sucks or something then you wouldn't be misunderstood.

#13     Feb 3, 2009
  4. i'm going to bump this because it's some of my best work :D

#14     Feb 7, 2009
  5. Ohhh, to long for the good old days when the doc said "snap out of it". :D

A weekend with whiskey n women.:cool: to cure what ails ya

#15     Feb 7, 2009
  6. You are at top of food chain. "You" are most intelligent being on the planet. You have free will to do what you want while your here. And, if that isn't enough YOUR going to HEAVEN for an eternity at the end to boot !!

WTF COULD you have to be depressed about . what more can you ask for. jesus christ :D

#16     Feb 7, 2009
  7. Please provide links or other data to verify your claim. ie how can 1 recieve lab tests to conclusively diagnose 'organic' depression- blood tests, brain scans, or any other objective measure?

#17     Feb 8, 2009
  8. How do you think selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) work?

This is the class of medications that includes Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, etc.

http://www.webmd.com/depression/ssris-myths-and-facts-about-antidepressants

A lot of the research has been done.

Do I think these meds are a panacea, or that they help everyone? Hell no. They also have freaky side effects.

However, people like Mike Wallace on 60 Minutes swears he'd had offed himself by now if he hadn't been prescribed them, as have hundreds of thousands if not millions of other people, so who am I to argue?

RM has a great point that they don't help everyone who is depressed. That's true, and it's because they act on serotonin levels. If one's depression is caused by another chemical or physical imbalance or injury, they won't be ineffective.

I think it's pretty incredibly that you thought massive amounts of research had not been done, given that these are the literal breakthrough meds of the 21st century.

#18     Feb 8, 2009
  9. You did some creative reading into my post. All I asked was your basis for commenting on 'organic' depression as if it was an objectively delineated disease state.

I have read piles of research on the topic. Across many studies, SSRI's are reported to work well in approximately 1/3 of patients who receive them. Interestingly, this is about the same portion of depressed patients in studies who have a positive response to placebo.

Does this mean that depression is shown to be caused by low levels of serotonin or other monoamines? Nope. I haven't seen any research proving this. Have you? Its great that 30 some percent are significantly helped by SSRIs but positive effect of a substance does not diagnose underlying cause. It only shows the substance is mood elevating.

#19     Feb 8, 2009
  10. res, she's a cut'n'paste idiot :D

don't waste much time on her

#20     Feb 8, 2009