Depressed? Here's a cure! Its official :)

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by 2cents, Aug 8, 2006.

1. i'd rather get my jollies hitting the stupid tourists in times square :)

#21     Aug 8, 2006
  2. Actually I meant every word. In fact, that "treatment" works well on old people, celebrities, women, and large farm animals. I may be "going public" later on, opening a series of "punishment" clinics to treat depression. I will send you a discount coupon, or as a show of friendship I will beat the crap out of you for free.

#22     Aug 8, 2006
  3. hate to look like a total monster meself (i don't really care in fact...) but i must agree with stevo to an extent... too many people in our "developed" economies afford themselves the luxury of "depression", which is good for shrinks but... without going as far as beating the crap out of them, perhaps a survival session of a few weeks in a nasty saharan desert area with the touaregs could do them an awful lot of good...

i am not saying thats the majority of the cases, but thats the majority of the cases i have been privy too, pretty well off people generally, and honestly, i have some sympathy, but i have more for people who are going through REAL hardships...

now have sum' special K friends :)

#23     Aug 8, 2006
  4. Well I think there are two things to consider. First, true clinical depression is a disease. Some professionals believe that it can be caused by several things. Chemical imbalance, as brought on by drug use, and organic or genetic damage due to exposure to chemicals or other disease vectors. Also there are folks who simply look for a reason to be "disabled". Many of us have seen retired ex-military vets who cannot seem to "let it go". Years after their discharge they seem to be fascinated by war stories, and unable to resume a productive life. Apparently this is difficult to treat and that is why investigatory treatments are considered.

Interesting thing (for me) is that out of a population of thousands who may have read my comments, only one person failed to "get it". For him that comment was very real. So what to say about that? Well, first I would suggest that it is possible that some of us have been mistreated as younger people. If that is so then that person should seek help from a qualified mental health practitioner, otherwise they are at the mercy of every person on the planet. I say this because we all have read or seen similar comments on Monty Python, and many other shows, and most of us just laugh and move on. If you can't laugh and move on, it may be a sign that you need to consider your options.

By the way, physical mistreatment in and of itself is not debilitating IF one can give meaning to the experience. I can tell you this from experience. For instance, although it has been a long while, I remember as if it were yesterday, my experience at a special school called SERE in North Carolina. I can guarantee you that I would not have volunteered for it. We were beat daily, starved, sleep deprived, in some cases subject to electroshock, and kept in conditions that I am sure many would find unbelievable, yet we "willingly" underwent the training knowing it would help us if we were ever taken prisoner. Years later I can remember it well, and I assure you all it still gives me a little adrenaline jolt. Never had a depressed day in my life.

So in summation, "get over it" or get some help.

Steve

#24     Aug 8, 2006