deploying new capital... in stages or all at once?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by stockmarketbeginner, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Junky

Junky

Agree with everything you said right there. I've never really claimed to be "reasonable". ;)

#11     Jan 22, 2018
  2. %%
    I noticed on that chart, ironchief,the scale in[dollar cost] is close to , ''invest immediately bar '' in %.
    And since OCT-March/APR tend to be the best 6/7 in the stock market, cant really think of a good reason to overload late Jan. PUT another way=======even a good bull market uptrend has some pullbacks no matter how slight, FEB tends not to do as well as JAN.JAN is strong, but almost never as strong as even JAN-APR:caution:

#12     Jan 22, 2018
  3. 777

For testing, much longer would be much better.

#13     Jan 22, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  4. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I disagree. The policy wonk/economist/social scientist in me says, "Yay! More data! Larger n!!! Yay!" But I believe that there have been structural changes in the market which obviate the usefulness of [a lot of] data beyond ~2007. Not *all* of it, but a 'yes' in specific regards to market-wide dives followed by near-total, immediate, recoveries. And it's that V-bottom behavior that would set up a wait-to-buy-on-the-dip investor for disaster: they miss out on the rise, and by the time they hear about the dive, it's over.

"Da-ammmmmn!"

#14     Jan 22, 2018
  5. ironchef

ironchef

Good points. Thank you. Those charts were from Schwab.

As for timing, I tried but was always wrong on when to get out and when to get back in.

#15     Jan 22, 2018
  6. %%
    Stock Traders Almanac[book by Hirsch]can help, but i never average bull markets + bear markets-they are too different.I think they were the first to nickname; OCT=bear killer. NOT a prediction.:cool:

#16     Jan 22, 2018
  7. 777

People who bought and held Berkshire or market proxies for 30 year periods did ok.

*past performance is no guarantee...

#17     Jan 22, 2018
  8. %%
    Commissions were to expensive, in the early years, unless you were an elephant. BUT since i would rather do to MUCH work,,,,,,, than not enough,i agree:cool:. NOT sure a stock/stock market chart before the FED means much but i study them anyway.Saw a KO ad today said ''since 1886+since 1886'' NOT a stock tip or prediction.

#18     Jan 25, 2018
  9. ironchef

ironchef

Just curious Mr. Turtle, why do you have to put disclaimers on every statement you made? Are you a professional fund manager or financial adviser?o_O

I have to admit, your comments were very good and accurate, definitely not from a mom and pop amateur like me.

Regards,

#19     Jan 26, 2018
  10. %%
    Its because , ironchief ,some trends are not so good; but some trends are so good- so i need to remind myself also- not a prediction. LOL:caution::cool:

#20     Jan 29, 2018