Denny's charging 5% Obamacare surcharge!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Grandluxe, Nov 15, 2012.

1. If they choose to do nothing then it's close to a 50% wage increase for servers. Whichever they choose, it shows what a disaster Obamacare is. Hopefully lawmakers will realize how this is crippling the restaurant industry and waive this requirement.

#21     Nov 21, 2012
  2. lol. cry me a river of tears for the resturant industry. do you realize that resturants are exempt from the minimum wage and most of them pay in the 2-3 per hour range? you want to try to live on that and then when you have the oppertunity to get some health care you employer conspires to screw you out of it.

not to mention your math sucks. if they make 50k the penalty is 1000. long way from 50%.

#22     Nov 21, 2012
  3. Yes, I realize that. Hence why I said it would be like a 100% wage increase if they had to pay health insurance. There's a reason why it's $2-$3 an hour. It's a performance based business where servers make their money off of tips. $2-$3 an hour isn't supposed to be a living wage. Hell, the minimum wage isn't supposed to be a living wage. It's a starting wage.

#23     Nov 21, 2012
  4. No, you said they'll pay a $2,000 penalty per employee. If a server makes $2 an hour, that ends up being like a 50% wage increase.

#24     Nov 21, 2012
  5. well i dont think you have ever run a business. i have and if i had the oppertunity to provide insurance to my employees for $1000 per year i would have jumped at it. most employers want to do what they can to make their workforce better employees.

#25     Nov 21, 2012
  6. They can't provide insurance for $1000 a year. Otherwise they would instead of paying the $2000 a year penalty. Clearly a lot of employers either can't get $1000/employee insurance or don't think the way you do or else they would be providing insurance without Obamacare. Walmart is making billions without your economic model. Did you make billions with your model?

#26     Nov 21, 2012
  7. You had a business and didn't provide health insurance? Shame. Why didn't you was it too expensive? You saying it's going to be cheaper now? Many disagree on the cost.

#27     Nov 21, 2012
  8. are you having a problem comprehending how it will work? the employer will simply pay the $1000 penalty and let the government provide the insurance.

#28     Nov 21, 2012
  9. actually i did provide insurance but some of my fly by night competitors didnt and made it hard for me to compete. that is why good employers welcome the idea that obamacare will level the playing field.

#29     Nov 21, 2012
  10. Is that how it works? You said it was a $2000 penalty. Anyways, businesses shouldn't be paying any penalty. Plenty of businesses will layoff their workers, despite your economic model. Time will tell which one of us is right, but I expect massive underemployment of the poor, who this is intended to help.

#30     Nov 21, 2012