Dem's Accuse Bush of UFO Coverup

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Dec 18, 2003.

1. AAA, what happened? You took a lunch break and had Pabst ghost write for you?

I hope you are not serious. I sincerely doubt (just for example) that there are more homosexual Democrats than Republicans.

As for "welfare activists"....really, how many of them can there possibly be? What kind of impact can they have on national politics?

Environmentalist? Who IS NOT concerned with the environment? Forget the extremists. I am talking about the normal and concerned populace. I assure you the Republican party has a very substantial number of voters that is very unhappy with the very self serving positions of the Bush (oil) administration. Remember how popular James Watt was? How many people really want to see oil derricks in Yellowstone? Who wants filthy air and water? Besides, as we saw 3 years ago, the extremists voted for Nader...which was assumed to have cost Gore votes.

Unions? Yes, at one time. And I suppose in theory still. But in reality, who loved Nixon more than the hard-hats? Now they love Bush. Especially in a Navy flight suit. The unions may endorse Democrats, but the members vote in the privacy of the voting booths. And they LOVE anyone who wraps themselves in the American flag. So my best guess would be that the union members (there are less and less by the way...and more and more "right to work" states"). is that the union member's vote is pretty evenly split. Possibly more Rep union VOTERS than Dem.

"Pro Choice" again, an issue that has Dems and Reps in both their camps. And just like "welfare activists", "abortion rights activists" add up to a non factor. How many "activists" do you know regarding these issues? I don't know any. And I know a lot of very politically active people.

Affirmative action/racial quota advocates...same thing. This is a matter of law, not votes. But still, not a major issue. And definitely not a campaign issue.

The important thing is this. There are almost exactly the same number of registered Democrats and Republicans. The special interest groups you mention just aren't comprised of enough voters to make this so.

You are right about the demographics. The East Coast/West Coast vs. the central states.

Maybe it's about the typical level of education. Or maybe it's about people who like salt water fishing as opposed to fresh water fishing. Surfers? Farmers? Tradition? Whatever the reason, this just changes over time.

Barry Goldwater couldn't make a dent in the popular or electoral college vote. Just like Dukakis couldn't. Or McGovern.

But Clinton was able to win against an incumbent. So was Carter.

People vote for change when they aren't happy. They vote to keep things as they are when they are happy. It's that simple. Reagan said it best...."Are you better off today than you were four years ago?" That really is what determines the outcomes of Presidential elections. That and the debates. Nixon proved that. But the art of preparing for debates has been highly refined since then. No one will ever look as bad as Nixon did (appearance).

If the economy sees a real recovery, Bush will win.

It is really only possible at this point for Bush to lose if he self destructs. Which seems almost unimaginable. And you know what? As incompetent as I believe he is, that wouldn't bother me in the least. As long as he doesn't attempt to stuff the Supreme Court with Justices Clarance Thomas clones. One is more than enough. I would really like to see an apolitical court (if that is possible..but that is how it should be).

Peace,
    :)RS

#11     Dec 18, 2003
  2. it's all about the cash, aphie. only extremes are motivated to fork over cash for their piece of the pie.

who's going to fund a middle of the road political party? yes, i know you and i would, but try competing with...

-energy companies
    -gun lobby
    -anti-abortion lobby

etc - the list goes on and on, and these lobbies are where the 2 parties get their cash from.

no cash -- no party. it's representative democracy's dirty little secret.

another thing a buddy of mine pointed out recently was the difference between state governments in states that are one party controlled, and other states where both parties are roughly equally represented. the latter were the states that you'd want to live in. what's it like in MD?

#12     Dec 18, 2003
  3. Error,

My point is that the activists are the ones that tend to participate in primaries and caucuses, and thus have disproportionate influence compared to their actual numbers in the overall electorate. You point out an interesting irony regarding unions. Union members vote about 40% republican yet virtually 100% of the vast amount of union political money and in-kind assistance, ie phone banks, goes to democrats.

#13     Dec 18, 2003
  4. Pabst

Pabst

You mention "where the two parties get their cash from", yet your mini list of course excludes the NEA, the Trial Lawyers Association, and Emily's list. The gun lobby? Pro-lifers? The NRA and anti-abortionist's are hardly analogous to oil/big business. Those organizations subsist on donations by millions of concerned citizens. Democracy in action babe.

Your bullshit agenda propagates every post you write. How is it that a woman's right to choose is libertarian/constitutionally protected (via the court, not explicit constitutionally) yet the right to bear arms which is a specific right is somehow considered by you to be extreme. You're a walking contradiction. If you had an iota of consistency in your ideology I'd have more respect for your views.

#14     Dec 18, 2003