Democrats go on vacation while House Republicans work for compromise

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 377OHMS, Dec 21, 2011.

1. pspr

pspr

Oh, you're going all the way back to when Governor Bush defeated Al Gore.

As it turns out, The Governor really did win the State of Florida by a few hundred votes so it was a good decision by SCOTUS.

I was there and I was one of the few hundred that pushed Governor Bush over the top. As hard as the Democrats tried to steal that election I'm surprised you would bring it up. :D

#21     Dec 21, 2011
  2. That would be the Republican House

#22     Dec 21, 2011
  3. 377OHMS

377OHMS

The House doesn't want a 2-month deal. They want a 1-year deal so that businesses have a chance of knowing what their tax liability is for the year with some certainty.

If the president leaves for Hawaii it means he approves the middle-class tax increase and is abandoning further negotiations while millions are out of work and falling into poverty.

Shame!

#23     Dec 21, 2011
  4. The American people will on Jan 1st when their taxes go up

#24     Dec 21, 2011
  5. http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2011/...give-in-on-payroll-tax/?mod=wsj_share_twitter

Gingrich to House GOP: Give In on Payroll Tax

DES MOINES, Iowa – Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who famously lost budget battles to President Bill Clinton amid two government shutdowns, had some advice to House Republicans at loggerheads with another Democratic president: Give in.

“Incumbent presidents have enormous advantages. And I think what Republicans ought to do is what’s right for America. They ought to do it calmly and pleasantly and happily,” Mr. Gingrich said when asked about the clash between President Barack Obama and House Republicans over extension of the payroll tax cut.

#25     Dec 21, 2011
  6. Ricter

Ricter

No, what they want is to circumvent the policies, procedures, and possibly the laws that have been established after decades of hard and sometimes bitter experience with large, complex energy infrastructure.

#26     Dec 21, 2011
  7. 377OHMS

377OHMS

You mean that little old pipeline?

Now that thing is completely consistent with Obama's stated policy of pursuing sustainable North American energy, is it not? And besides it will create a few thousand jobs and preserve our domestic reserves, will it not? What is the downside to that pipeline Ricter, carbon footprint?

#27     Dec 21, 2011
  8. Ricter

Ricter

If there's nothing wrong with it then the developer(s) have nothing to hide from current environmental impact assessment. I think you're in the mood for argument today, because I know I don't need to mention that to an engineer.

#28     Dec 21, 2011
  9. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I think some fast-tracking is in order given our economic state.

I remember the money from the Alaska pipeline pouring into southern california when I was a kid. It was impressive.

#29     Dec 21, 2011