Democrats go on vacation while House Republicans work for compromise

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 377OHMS, Dec 21, 2011.

1. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Seen this for years in California but I think you are right, now it is a national aflliction. The country is ungovernable which translates to thin majorities and disgruntled opposition.

People are saying that democracy and its benefactor capitalism are dead. I don't know about that but it sure feels like we are at a decision point here.

#11     Dec 21, 2011
  2. I tend to agree. I'm pretty sure that you tend to lean right more than I do, which is fine, never my complaint. My complaints primarily focus on the way we discuss things. I have extreme friends, on both sides, and, yes, as a moderate, it sometimes makes me crazy. But not so crazy that we can't actually come up with good ideas, together, understanding some of the other guys feelings.

I wish more in this vein. You mention CA, and you mention thin majorities, so you seem to understand that there is no - my way or the highway type rhetoric. I feel that I am a strong fiscal conservative, and a social liberal. But not extreme on either side. I realize that sounds like a cop out to some, but it works for me and my friends.

Now, to your point. Are we so divided as a Nation that we can't get past the name calling and other childish nonsense? Do we have to take fox or msnbc to heart? Can we actually read and digest the matters at hand and try to come up with some good ideas?

I am an optimist in this regard, it's tough at time, especially when dealing with a certain group of debaters. But, the America I grew up in can listen to opposing views without hating the messenger or disregarding the message.

I think more of America is between the 40%-60% range, or at least 30%-70% vs. the extreme, and loudest 5 or 10% at each end. It's just that we are muffled, shouted over, and put down by the violent verbiage from the extreme.

Oh well, I can hope for more decent discussions. Maybe without a - hope and change- comment.

Sorry for the long post,

c

#12     Dec 21, 2011
  3. http://www.theatlanticwire.com/poli...vote-house-republicans-gift-obama-2012/46487/

Wall Street Journal: Republicans Turned the Payroll Tax into a Gift for Obama

House Republicans managed to turn President Obama into a tax cutter in an election year while getting blamed for opposing something they'll probably pass anyway, The Wall Street Journal complains in an editorial. "GOP Senate leader Mitch McConnell famously said a year ago that his main task in the 112th Congress was to make sure that President Obama would not be re-elected," the Journal says. "Given how he and House Speaker John Boehner have handled the payroll tax debate, we wonder if they might end up re-electing the President before the 2012 campaign even begins in earnest." The editorial is, as they say in political media, driving the conversation the morning's conversation. But this week has turned out to be the most wonderful time of the year for Obama -- and maybe "the most advantageous political environment he’s seen since the earliest days of his administration," Politico's Glenn Thrush and Jennifer Epstein write. The White House press corps is suffering in Honolulu while it waits for Obama to arrive for Christmas vacation once he's done savoring the Republicans' political gift in Washington.

"I hope he doesn't blow this. I think he’s doing great so far, but he can’t take the boot off their neck," a senior Democratic aide told Politico. "The president couldn't have asked politically for a bigger gift at Christmastime than how these Republicans are behaving in the House," Democratic strategist Bob Shrum told them. And for the first time since the 2010 elections, Republican unity is cracking, The New York Times' Michael D. Shear writes. Several Republican senators -- Dick Lugar, Scott Brown, John McCain, Dean Heller -- have said publicly that House Republicans screwed up. Brown said the House vote was "irresponsible and wrong," and McCain said it was "harming the Republican Party." Shear explains that senators up for reelection in November do not like the idea of raising taxes in January, so "Their willingness to accommodate the ideological imperatives of the House Republicans may be weakening."

Anonymously, a Republican Senate aide told Politico's Manu Raju and John Bresnahan, "This is a colossal fumble by the House Republicans."Their inability to recognize a win is costing our party our long-held advantage on the key issue of tax relief. It’s time for Boehner and [House Majority Leader Eric] Cantor to look these rookies in the eye and explain how the game is won or lost." Politico's Mike Allen points out that the hashtag #40dollars -- the average weekly savings the tax holiday would bring --- was trending worldwide on Twitter on Tuesday.

Want to add to this story? Let us know in comments or send an email to the author at ereeve@nationaljournal.com. You can share ideas for stories on the Open Wire.

#13     Dec 21, 2011
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

+ 1

#14     Dec 21, 2011
  5. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Are you saying Obama will escape to Hawaii for vacation or will he stay in town and work out this tax problem for the middle-class?

Either he goes or he stays. Which is it?

#15     Dec 21, 2011
  6. pspr

pspr

Is that the best you got? Try to complete a whole sentence next time that makes some sense. Reread your first sentence a few times then try it again.

Democraps don't deserve to govern. All they can do is play games and find ways to hand out our money to their donors.

#16     Dec 21, 2011
  7. Don't know don't care.The President and democrats in both houses have all agreed on extending the tax cuts and so have republicans in the senate.If Taxes gos up its the fault of the tea party/republican House

Say what you want about Nancy but the Democrats in The House didn't pull this shit on her unlike weak ass Boehner

#17     Dec 21, 2011
  8. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I'm too creeped out by the little "c" at the bottom of his posts to even respond. Is that like SouthAmerica with his weird third-person screenplay syntax?:

SouthAmerica: I am a garage-dwelling pensioner and you should invest in Brazil you capitalist monkeys.

#18     Dec 21, 2011
  9. 377OHMS

377OHMS

So, the President will escape to Hawaii? I guess that means he is comfortable with a significant tax increase for 160-million people during a deep recession? :confused:

Is that a sound platform for reelection? :confused:

Let see, in one week Barrack Obama raised taxes on the middle-class and declared that the Taliban was not our enemy.

At least when he is on vacation he might not do anything bone-headed for a few days. That is something I suppose.

#19     Dec 21, 2011
  10. Sorry if it was confusing to you. One side, republicans, have their only doctrine as trying to unseat an duly elected president. The vs applies to the Supreme Court appointing Mr. Bush. Not a big deal I guess, to some.

Really sorry the c bothers you so much. Just a habit I guess. I think there is a term for those who try to hide by moving the target, like complaining about a c. Can't think of it. Perhaps you can help. Maybe some republicraps or democraps can. Let's not let the thinkingcraps get in the way.

c

#20     Dec 21, 2011