Democrats can chose the next president.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bigarrow, Nov 3, 2010.

1. He is hard right though,and I don't think the country will elect a hard right candidate

He is also Hispanic .I have no doubt the Democrats would fully support a Hispanic candidate for President,I don't think nationwide the Republicans would.

#41     Nov 4, 2010

2. Looming anti-Obama midterm vote may not carry through to 2012

By Ian Swanson - 10/27/10 10:00 PM ET

A majority of voters see the midterm election as a referendum on Barack Obama, but most have not decided whether they’ll vote against the president in 2012, according to a poll by The Hill.

Seventy percent of respondents in The Hill’s latest survey of 10 battleground districts said their feelings about President Obama will play an important role in how they vote on Nov. 2.

That tracks closely with polling conducted by The Hill in other districts across the country during the past three weeks, where 69 percent of voters said Obama would affect their choices on Election Day.

The focus on Obama was high among voters in both parties; 47 percent of Republicans in the latest poll said Obama would be a very important factor in their vote, while 46 percent of Democrats said the same thing.

Yet 54 percent of those polled said Republicans winning back control of Congress this year would have no impact on their vote in 2012. An even higher number of independents, 62 percent, said a Republican Congress would have no impact on their vote for president in 2012.

The results point to a paradox of the 2010 election: While it is clear voters worried about government spending and record deficits want to put a brake on the Obama administration, they do not appear to have given up on the president.

The results indicate voters want to see Obama move to the center and work more with Republicans, particularly on spending, said pollster Mark Penn of Penn Schoen Berland, which conducted the survey.

While Penn said that the 2010 election is “in many ways” a referendum on Obama, he added: “Voters didn’t see any direct correlation between who holds Congress and who they’ll vote for president.”

#42     Nov 4, 2010

3. October 26, 2010 2:37 PM

Obama's Approval Ratings Higher than Reagan's Were at This Point in First Term

President Obama may not be the most popular man on the campaign trail at the moment, but the president is still faring better in the polls than Ronald Reagan was during this stage of his first term, the National Journal reports.

According to a new study by the Society for Human Resource Management/National Journal Congressional Connection Poll (which was conducted with the Pew Research Center), 47 percent of Americans would like to see Mr. Obama run for re-election in 2012.

The figure, though short of a majority, is significantly higher than Mr. Reagan's 36 percent rating on the same question in August 1982

In an analysis of the poll, National Journal points out not only that Mr. Reagan was re-elected to his second term by a wide margin, but that the circumstances dictating his first term are not unlike those that Mr. Obama has faced over the past two years.

National Journal's Jason Dick points out:

"Both were elected during difficult economic times and succeeded unpopular presidents. Both came promising to change the way things were done in Washington. Both saw their footings slip and their ratings sag as the economies of their times suffered devastating recessions."
    Indeed, unemployment rates in 1982 hovered at 9.7 percent - a tenth of a percent higher than the current national levels.

Ultimately, history seems to show that a president's popularity level two years into his first term is not a strong indicator of his re-election prospects: The Journal reports that former presidents George H. W. Bush and Jimmy Carter - both of whom lost re-election bids - enjoyed higher ratings than Mr. Reagan in the months leading up to the midterms.

#43     Nov 4, 2010
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

Reagan is dead.
    :)

#44     Nov 4, 2010
  5. Arnie

Arnie

You know who really derserves the credit for the Republican's gains?

Barak Hussein Obama and Tim Kaine. The best two candidates in the Republican party.

Apparently Range Rover has uncovered an as yet never before seen negative correlation of good poll numbers and lousy results. We can only hope Obama's approval rating increases in 2012.

Well done, Range Rover!! :D :D

#45     Nov 4, 2010
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Range Rover, just like a bad trader, you will never admit you are wrong. It's a really bad quality to have btw. I'm wrong 1000 times a day. And I may be wrong about this. But I know momentum when I see it. I don't care what the New York Times says, I don't care what the bloggers say, I don't care what Sean Hannnity says. There is a momentum in this market, in the world and in politics right now that can't be stopped. Losing 60 plus house seats is historic. There is no denying that. This trend will go on for the next couple of elections at least. Obama is done.

#46     Nov 4, 2010

7. True but history often repeats itself.Polls,approval ratings,weak GOP candidates and history strongly suggest Obama will win a second term

#47     Nov 4, 2010
  8. Fair enough.We wont know until 2012 but I'm picking Obama

#48     Nov 4, 2010
  9. If the economy is still sputtering in 2012 then I think Obama gets beat. If the economy is picking up steam and unemployment rate is falling, then he probably gets reelected, assuming we are not still stepping in sh-t in the Middle East.

If you look at the last few presidents who didn't win a second term, the economy seems to be the overriding factor.

Unfortunately, unless Bernanke is successful in reinflating all the bubbles that have popped, there is a pretty good chance we will not be able to mask the structural problems in our economy.

But then again, a lot of people think I am a pessimist.

#49     Nov 4, 2010
  10. Wasn't the conventional wisdom after the 2008 election that the Republicans were done for who knows how long? As the guy who's wrong a thousand times a day, by your own admission, shouldn't you have figured out by now to stop predicting magnitude and duration with such certitude? Only witches can be that accurate:

[​IMG]

#50     Nov 4, 2010