Democratic chairman Howard Dean: "marriage is between a man and a woman"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JayS, May 11, 2006.

1. neophyte321

neophyte321 Guest

typical .... "I can compare marriage to slavery, so that makes me eligible to redefine it."

"Oh, I can claim the rich man in his big car is ruining the world .... so , I'm entitled to his property ... "

so pathetic ....

#11     May 11, 2006
  2. The point that is apparently escaping you, is that just because a tradition is old, or just because it is in the Bible or other religious text (as is slavery) that alone is not sufficient to keep a tradition.

As we have overcome the tradition of slaves, women as property, children as something to have just to work at a factory, common people having the right to vote, democracy, etc.

It is called progress, which is why the progressive party has accomplished more social evolution in the past couple of hundred years than the regressives ever dreamed of, or wanted....

#12     May 11, 2006
  3. maxpi

maxpi

Howard Dean and Hillary ars soooo going for the center. Their own party won't let them in the primary if they keep it up.

#13     May 11, 2006
  4. Latency causes so much heartache, doesn't it?

#14     May 11, 2006
  5. The issue is not whether or not gay marriage is a good idea, it is that the Chairman of the DNC went before an evangelical audience and lied about the party's position. Since the gay activists are one of the Democrats core constituencies, I find it inconceivable that Dean was "confused" or "misspoke."

And that line about having a lot in common with evangelicals is pretty ridiculous too. In truth Democrat party activists despise evangelicals and everything they stand for.

#15     May 12, 2006
  6. Agree.

It is silly for the dems to pander to the evangelicals, they are not going to vote for the democrats.

Jesus told them all to vote republican, didn't he?

#16     May 12, 2006
  7. Arnie

Arnie

This is exactly why the Demogogues lose time after time. The only candidates that get nominated have to kowtow to the lunatic fringe of the party.....you know the teachers union, the gays, the eco-terrorists etc...Once nomionated, the chosen candidate has just a few months to master the Grand Deception, whereby they try to sound more conservative than Barry Goldwater. Luckily for us, the majority of voters doesn't buy it.

#17     May 12, 2006
  8. zzz, as usual is wrong

there are plenty of people who are atheists, agnostic, etc. and certainly not "religious right" who have views opposing gay marriage

they can range from views that the govt. should not endorse gay marriage, to views that they should, etc.

while many obviously get their views from religion, there are compelling non-religious arguments, from a hayekian or burke'an standpoint as well vis a vis gay marriage.

dean wasn't pandering to anybody. he was just being his idiotic self and talking about something he is ignorant on, going off script, and then having to retract his idiocy.

you would think the frigging spokesman for the dem party would actually bother to check on basic policy position on issues as crucial and controversial as this

again, that would be a prudent person in the position's desire at least

#18     May 12, 2006
  9. fhl

fhl

If you say so!

#19     May 12, 2006
  10. Where children are not involved, give me a compelling non religious argument against homosexual marriage....

No, and the argument that if we allow homosexuals to marry, then we have to allow polygamy, men marrying farm animals, etc.

We don't have to allow that at all....not that I care if red state farmers marry their cows....or if Latter Day members marry multiple brides.

#20     May 12, 2006