Demise Of Soros' Influence

Discussion in 'Forex' started by ShoeshineBoy, May 22, 2003.

1. doublea

doublea

Well said Cdntrader. I couldn't have said it any better.

#21     May 23, 2003
  2. I agree. But they were using way too much margin. They had no room for error. When I want leverage, I buy options. At least my maximum risk is assured. I never play big with unlimited loss potential.

#22     May 23, 2003

3. Andy runs a Hedge Fund called NorthBridge Capital

He likes to lay low after the Banker's Trust incident.

Dr. Zhivodka

#23     May 23, 2003
  4. OK, let me get this straight...and please correct me if I am wrong. You have put Soros and Ponzi schemes in the same paragraph, then you call him pious, annoying and righteous. WOW! Thats pretty harsh considering the man gives over 1 billion a year to charity from his OWN POCKETS...not his fund or foundation (which is a whole other story)..but his very own personal bank account.
    Not to mention the fact that he is one of the most successful speculators of ANY time. I am flabbergasted. What have you done to earn the right of such statements? Please indulge me and forgive my ignorance if you have exceeded his accomplishments.

#24     May 23, 2003
  5. BigMike

BigMike

Then I want to be a pompous, pious, no-good jackass like Soros. Let us not forget that we are traders here. We build nothing. We add nothing to society (excpet liquidity???). We are not philanthropists. We are here to chase the almighty dollar in various ways that suit our individual psyches.

In this business, being a billionaire means EVERYTHING and DOES make you king!!!

That is all.

BigMike

#25     May 23, 2003
  6. The comparison is to make a point not to necessitate a portrayal of Soros in any fashion deemed inappropriate.

#26     May 23, 2003
  7. Then I missed it entirely. What was the point?

#27     May 23, 2003
  8. It was to comment on the following quote:
    "He's a Billionaire..aka a King...end of story."

I wanted to point out the naive assumption from the aforementioned quote. The point being made is HOW you arrive at your fortune, i..e the end does not justify the means.

I, and this is strictly my opinion, see Soros' "genius" in hiring the right people and not necessarily his trading skills. Thus I see the media's perception and the commonality among other observers about Soros as a bit offline.

It then doesnt surprised me that people who broke off from Soros, Templeton, Robertson, etc. ACTUALLY DO BETTER than the "sponsors." The same observation was made by Instituitional Investor (sept. issue).

And let me reiterate: its not a knock on Soros' character. I am just calling into light his trading ability.

#28     May 23, 2003

9. Many of the greatest men have only been great because they knew how to hire great people and then use their decisions in a framework to reach conclusions and success.

Look at Citigroup. Sandy weil is brilliant. But he also hired the best. Look at what jamie dimon did now at bank one for instance. He hired the right people. Or bush, his team is top notch besides his economic team. Or GE. I can go on and on.

#29     May 23, 2003