DeMark indicators

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by hardtofin, Feb 10, 2017.

1. I am interested in trying out DeMark indicators and learning the technique. Does anyone have advice on how best to do this please?

Is it as simple as just buying a book and you can learn/plot it yourself, or do you need to subscribe to his service through Bloomberg?

It all seems a bit mysterious and I get no further when I go to the DeMark analytics website as when i click "learn more", the webpage just sits there.

Many thanks for any help you can give. :)

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Jarym

Jarym

This guy posts regular updates on DeMarks main indicators: https://tradetrekker.wordpress.com

I did some research into them while I was designing automated strategies and as far as I can tell they aren't as useful nowadays. I did a lot of back testing to see if I could find any type of edge with them and I couldn't; of course others may have different results to me.

3. Could be his work seems less relevant these days in the era of "Fed Interventionist markets". Seems lots of "things" work differently or not at all now.

Yet another example of "market keeps changing.... adapt or perish".

quickturtle likes this.
  4. Mtrader

Mtrader

Tools are only good if you know how to use them.
    I see a lot of discussions on ET between people who know how to use a tool and people who don't know how to use a tool.

The biggest problems is that everybody always is convinced that he is the expert and the counterparty is an idiot. So the discussions are endless and useless.

Compare it to 90% of drivers who are sure they are within the 10% best drivers. Mathematically impossible. But everybody is sure they are in the 10% best and everybody is convinced that other people judge their own driver skills much too high.

quickturtle likes this.
  5. %%
    Actually i prefer Rich ''turtle '' Dennis= ''do your own research'' Wisdom is profitable to direct. you may find Mr De Mark's magazine article .........opening price is worth a study some times

6. %%
    It Was Active Trader Magazine; not sure when.Long story short= it was about opening price; i found Jack Schwager books much more helpful

7. crkumar

crkumar

Hi,
    How is it that one finds people arguing passionstely about Demark Indicators' usefulness or lack of it, without citing data etc from tests. Can these not be tested unlike many others.
    Thanks

murray t turtle likes this.
  8. Jarym

Jarym

How would you propose testing an 'indicator'? They're no different to having a barometer or thermometer and trying to predict the weather. With all indicators, their effectiveness is dictated by how you're able to use them.

crkumar and murray t turtle like this.
  9. %%
    Good example,JM. Old Farmers Almanac says[2017], when it comes to weather forecasting, their long term record is about 80%. They're founded, in 1792. July, 2017 forecast for Dallas/North TX is a degree or 2 below normal ; cool. [NOTHING in this post is a prediction; wisdom is profitable to direct]

crkumar and Jarym like this.
  10. crkumar

crkumar

You sure have a point there about effect of indicators being more a function of effectiveness of user.
    I didn't have anything out of ordinary in mind, was thinking about kind of thing MTT has put in the previous post, or is cited by many for different indicators/systems.

#10     Mar 19, 2017
    Jarym and murray t turtle like this.