demand for easy to use auto trading platform

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by ssrrkk, Feb 20, 2011.

1. ssrrkk

ssrrkk

Hello,
    I am wondering if there is demand out there for an extremely simple to use automated equities day trading system -- I have developed a system for my own use and have attached a simple GUI to be able to set the parameters of the algorithm so that I can optimize it without changing the code all the time. I plan to implement several different strategies, but for now I have just one strategy which I am live-testing (not back testing) with IB's paper account. So far, it is looking reasonably profitable but I am still optimizing and changing the parameters so I can't give you any real statistics yet. The software would basically have a simple form based GUI where you can select the general strategy and all the parameters involved in buying and selling (e.g., buy signal definitions, sell rules, etc.). The user does not have to do any programming, just optimize the parameters and run it. The user can choose to run it on IB's paper trading account or his real account whenever he is comfortable. Of course the draw back is that the user cannot invent his own strategy, but if the existing strategies work, then is that really necessary? Any opinions about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Roy

2. What happens if there is a failure in data transmission or the line goes down?

3. ssrrkk

ssrrkk

hi Bill,
    Well, those dangers are there even if you are just using a broker's trading system or platform. At this point, I envision putting a big "use at your own risk" disclaimer. The user can test all he wants on the IB paper account for as long as he wants before going live. I would also encourage the user to get a battery backup and extra internet connection backup. In the worst case scenario, if the algorithm somehow stops functioning in mid day, the user can always call up IB and close out the trades. Also, the algorithm has the option to automatically put stops so even if all hell breaks loose, the stops should limit the downside.
    Roy