Dem wants to raise gas tax by 50 cents

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jficquette, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Democrats are such greedy pigs.

Michigan Congressman Wants 50-Cent Tax Hike on Every Gallon of Gas
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008

E-Mail Respond Print Share:
    DiggFacebookStumbleUpon
    A Michigan congressman wants to put a 50-cent tax on every gallon of gasoline to try to cut back on Americans' consumption.

Polls show that a majority of Americans support policies that would reduce greenhouse gases. But when it comes to paying for it, it's a different story.

Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., wants to help cut consumption with a gas tax but some don't agree with the idea, according to a new poll by the National Center for Public Policy Research.

The poll, scheduled to be released on Thursday, shows 48 percent don't support paying even a penny more, 28 percent would pay up to 50 cents more, 10 percent would pay more than 50 cents and 8 percent would pay more than a dollar.

"I don't want to pay more, I don't think anyone wants to," said Karen Deacon, a motorist.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,339589,00.html

2. Well Oil man Bush raised gas prices by $ 2.32

3. political suicide.

4. You should change the title to "Michigan Congressman wants to raise gas tax by 50 cents " rather then Democrats wants to raise gas tax by 50 cents

5. Fangdog

Fangdog

I suppose if it were a Republican who was stupid enough to want to raise taxes, we wouldn't hear a peep out of you suggesting they drop "Republican".

6. I'm a Ron Paul Supporter/Independent

7. <b>If</b> the politicians could be trusted to raise gasoline taxes <b>while proportionately lowering taxes</b> on property ownership/phone service/business licensing/etc... I'd support that.

However, since they can't be trusted to make these changes without taking even more money out of our pockets as the end result, it all becomes a moot point.

8. Mercor

Mercor

No wonder Michigan's auto industry in going south.
    You would think a congressman who state's main industry is making cars would want to promote policies that would reduce the cost of buying and operating a car.

9. Frankly, if I had a choice of 50 cent tax increase or the oil cos took another 50 cent a gallon increase in profit. I would prefer my money went to the oil co. There is hope that an oil co (private enterprise) could make better use of the money.

10. A Democrat.

I think you can buy" Economics for Third Graders" and it will cover 'regressive tax'. All that would do is kill the working man. Do you think John Kerry can't come up with the fifty cents a gal for gas for his four SUV's.

I was reading something on the NYState Capitol building. they were laughing because it was obvious Spitzer was the only guy paying for sex. The reporter wrote, 'most people entering politics are flawed to begin with........."

Add, "stupid".

#10     Mar 21, 2008