Dem Robert Rubin - "We must raise taxes"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DeepFried, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Two days after the election and the Democrats send their most respected mouthpiece, Rubin, out to start the drumbeat for raising taxes. I guess he was too busy before the election to mention it.

It never ceases to amaze me how easily the Democrats can fool gullible voters.

#21     Nov 10, 2006
  2. The income that anyone earns, be it business, wages or lottery is private property seized by the various governments.

If some people think higher taxes are better, they should voluntarily send more of their money to government. Are you sending more money to the gov than you have to?

I think the government should have fundraisers like PBS instead of income tax. That would be interesting.

What if the tax rate was nearly 100%? In return you would get food, clothing and shelter. Look how well it worked in the former Soviet Union, everyone worked for the government, and got free health care, education etc. So don't you think that at 50% tax rate it would suppress the economy more than 25%? Higher taxes suppresses wealth creation, the economy, standard of living etc.

If corporate and income taxes were raised to 90%, but the gov would provide "free services' right now, would that be a good thing?

#22     Nov 10, 2006
  3. "If corporate and income taxes were raised to 90%, but the gov would provide "free services' right now, would that be a good thing"?

No! But if corporations paid their fair share, lots of budget problems would be solved.

"The GAO report showed that 61 percent of US corporations paid no federal income taxes from 1996 through 2000, a period of rapid economic growth and rising corporate profits".

"An estimated 94 percent of US corporations reported tax liabilities amounting to less than 5 percent of their total income in 2000. The corporate income tax rate is ostensibly 35 percent, but companies are able to reduce their effective burden by claiming various deductions and credits".

#23     Nov 10, 2006
  4. Nah, that was never a secret, that was part of Pelosi's first 100 hours plan:

...Bush-era tax cuts would have to be rolled back for those above "a certain level." She mentioned annual incomes of $250,000 or $300,000 a year and higher, and said tax rates for those individuals might revert to those of the Clinton era. Details will have to be worked out, she emphasized.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/06/ap/politics/mainD8KJ92800.shtml

Most people knew that, most people don't vote on this issue only, most people don't confuse tax cuts with China financed tax deferrals that one way or another will eventually have to be paid back with hefty interest.

#24     Nov 10, 2006
  5. Obviously the Laffer curve contradicts your conclusion ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laffer_curve ), obviously your own example of Ireland which has relatively high individual income tax and prosperous economy contradicts your conclusion, obviously wealth creation, the economy and the standard of living during the 90s contradicts your conclusion, obviously stagnant standard of living of 80% of americans after Bush's tax cuts contradicts your conclusion.

#25     Nov 10, 2006
  6. Well then, feel free to contribute to the gov at will. Help out the poor via your contributions to the gov. Ease the burden of your guilt via excess contributions. Sell your house, car and other possessions. Live amongst the homeless whilst trading via notebook pc and free wireless internet.

You are free. Free to do the right thing. You have no need to convince anyone that you are doing the right thing.

#26     Nov 10, 2006
  7. I don't have any guilt and my position has nothing to do with helping the poor. I want this country to have EPA, FDIC, SEC, SSI, Medicare, FDA, strong military, FBI, FAA, CIA, FEMA, public education, public roads etc... I find these programs and services extremely beneficial and am more than willing to pay for them. Of course I want the government not to waste my money, to be efficient, lean and mean but that has very little to do with this discussion.

#27     Nov 10, 2006
  8. Arnie

Arnie

dddooo,

So you're a fan of Reaganonmics? Here's a quote from YOUR link...

Supporting examples

Laffer himself has pointed to Russia and the Baltic states that have recently instituted a flat tax with rates lower than 35%, and their economies started growing right after implementation.[1]

He has also referred to the economic success following the Kemp-Roth tax act, the Kennedy tax cuts, the 1920s tax cuts, and the changes in US capital gains tax structure in 1997 as examples of how tax cuts can cause the economy to grow and raise revenue.

In 2006, the US Treasury reported that monthly tax receipts in April reached their second-highest point in the history of the nation, totalling $315.1 billion, second only to April 2001's mark of $332 billion prior to the burst of the Internet stock bubble. These results contradicted dire predictions in the wake of enactment of the Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003, suggesting that the US was still on the right half of the Laffer Curve.

#28     Nov 10, 2006
  9. Artie21

Artie21

Because those guys are losers who make almost nothing. They can't afford a sanitary napkin once a month.

#29     Nov 10, 2006
  10. You've got to hand it to russia, thats a bold move. Has any other country ever done that?

#30     Nov 10, 2006