Dem leaders do the right thing

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Yes, and I give them credit for this, esp. Pelosi. Finally, some leadership. I did not hear anything from the Republicans.

However, I am looking for a story on the net which says Demo Senator Tom Harkin defends Chavez rant . . .

2. Rangel didn't sound very upset and he certainly didn't "blast" Chavez. Gently chided him as one close friend might do another would be more accurate.

Bottomline is democrats agree with Chavez. They regularly call Bush worse. They think using the "word" macaca is far worse than insulting the President of the USA.

3. JayS

JayS

http://www.radioiowa.com/gestalt/go.cfm?objectid=020BFC5A-FA7D-42CC-9BA6A4ED9DA063B8

Harkin defends Venezuelan President's U-N speech against Bush

by Darwin Danielson

Iowa Senator Tom Harkin, a democrat, today defended Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez's United Nations speech in which Chavez called President George Bush the devil. Harkin said the comments were "incendiary", then went on to say, "Let me put it this way, I can understand the frustration, ah, and the anger of certain people around the world because of George Bush's policies." Harkin continued what has been frequent criticism of the president's foreign policy.

Harkin says Bush came to office saying he wanted a new humility in foreign policy in reaching out to other countries, but Harkin says Bush's actual policy has been heavy handed. Harkin says the anger against Bush is generated from the Iraq war, which Harkin says was "unnecessary."

Harkin says, "We tend to forget that a few days after 9-1-1 thousands, thousands of Iranians marched in a candlelight procession in Teheran in support of the United States. Every Muslim country was basically on our side. Just think, in five years, President Bush has squandered all that." Harkin says the U.S. has put billions of dollars into the Iraq war, when it could be helping poor countries with things like clean water, medical aid and education.

4. like jay leno said last night. its ok when americans make fun of bush but we get pissed off when some moron from another country does.
    jay leno is merciless on bush in some of his jokes.

5. This (above) is pathetic. Just what I would have expected from Tom Harkin.

Thanks for posting Jays

6. "Hugo Chavez fancies himself a modern day Simon Bolivar but all he is an everyday thug," House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi said at a news conference, referring to Chavez' comments in a U.N. General Assembly speech on Wednesday.

"Hugo Chavez abused the privilege that he had, speaking at the United Nations," said Pelosi, a frequent Bush critic. "He demeaned himself and he demeaned Venezuela."

Well whaddya know? Pelosi does have her moments of sanity...

7. Come on, they had overnight polls and focus groups that indicated voters were pissed off.

And doesn't it say something about how extreme the democrats have become that it is front page news when a couple of them defend the President against a loutish thug like Chavez? Of course, Harkin defended Chavez.

8. True, true. Yeah, given Pelosi's past comments on Bush, I shouldn't have expected it to be genuine outrage.

Harkin is an ass.