Dem Congressional Candidate Supports Euthanasia of Elderly

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Sep 17, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

The race between Democrat David Gill, Republican Rodney Davis and independent John Hartman in Illinois’ 13th congressional district is among a handful of red hot contests under way in downstate Illinois.....

Here’s what Gill said about physician-assisted suicide back in 1997.

“I don’t think people should have to put up with the amount of suffering the state says they have to. A lot of physicians feel disgruntled, ashamed and disgusted in their inability to assist patients,” Gill said in an article in The (Bloomington) Pantagraph.

He added that physician-assisted suicides already occur.

For example, Gill said some doctors will keep increasing a patient’s dosage of pain-relieving morphine, fully aware that respirations will eventually stop.

“It goes on everyday,” he said at the time.

It wasn’t until two years later that he was fired by OSF after writing a letter to the editor in support of euthanasia. A hospital spokeswoman said physician-assisted suicide goes against the teachings of the Catholic church.

“In view of the fact that Dr. David Gill embraces and advocates medical treatment methods that are unlawful in this state and that are not acceptable by community medical standards, Dr. Gill cannot be employed by OSF HealthCare System,” a company representative said at the time.

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/opin...cle_ca8144f2-ff76-11e1-810b-0019bb2963f4.html

2. What are your thoughts on this? Dr. Kevorkian, or keep on life support?

3. Oh, I did not mean to make it look like I'm calling you Dr. Kevorkian. I just meant which way for the terminally ill do you think is the best way for doctors to follow?

I was thinking more about it. And I am assuming that the patient is of sound mind, and the family approves. Still a tough question.

4. Mercor

Mercor

At this point the patient is probably not of sound mind. The family may have financial issues taking care of the patient.
    It is very convenient to get rid of the problem. Similar to abortion. Get rid of the baby to make things right. Good for all except the victim in both cases.