Delta Neutral Strategy

Discussion in 'Options' started by daytrader85, Sep 11, 2007.

1. donnap

donnap

1350 :p

#11     Sep 13, 2007
  2. donnap

donnap

DT85 PM'd a response to your initial question.

#12     Sep 13, 2007
  3. here you are reverse gamma scalping I assume.

but one suggestion: at 5 ES options and 1 futs contract, i don't think you have appropriate position size to accurately hedge your deltas. (since futs qualify as 100 deltas each) If you have portfolio margin, perhaps doing it thru SPY is better, that way you can perfectly hedge. ES is appropriate for this moreso if you are short 25+ options.

As the underlying goes up, you should be BUYING more (maintaining flat delta). Inverse is true - you should be selling as it goes down to maintain a flat delta. dynamic hedging...

now i've never done it, because gap risk and the idea that you are selling a low market, buying a high market doesn't suit me.

atticus:?? how frequently would you dynamically hedge on a short gamma position ??? price intervals???

Considering long gamma scalping is a tough strategy that doesn't really easily work unless you get plenty of movement, perhaps this is fundamentally a bet that volatility will subside and price will stay still. Ever think of doing vix futures calendar spread instead?

#13     Sep 13, 2007
  4. I posted my message I realized that it was 1302.75. I made 189pts, but divide among the 4 lots that I am long and get 47.25. So, my average cost on each contract is 1350 - 47.25 = <b>1302.75</b>

#14     Sep 14, 2007
  5. donnap

donnap

That was your question. Answer: 1350. :D

#15     Sep 14, 2007
  6. atty's answer will be scalping hedging=art

#16     Sep 14, 2007
  7. donnap

donnap

DT85 your calcs on cost basis look correct - sorry for the smartass reply

This sums up in one sentence what took me several paragraphs to say in my PM.

I also included :

Quote from spindr0:

...Acceptable risk/reward is a personal thing.

I've been trading ratio spreads/writes on ES so I thought that I'd throw in my two cents. I found my thoughts muddled when it came down to putting it into words.

#17     Sep 14, 2007
  8. I forecast IV and distribution 5 days forward, which gives me an acceptable cushion. I don't hedge discretely unless on meth.

#18     Sep 14, 2007
  9. so you hedging only four days out of five ? Hmmm...interesting strategy
    :)

#19     Sep 16, 2007
  10. can you give an example with some details to the mechanics of this w/ example trades?

:)

#20     Sep 16, 2007