Delta neutral or directionality: which one do you pick?

Discussion in 'Options' started by ferrycorsten, Dec 31, 2012.

1. ronblack

ronblack

+1

#21     Jan 4, 2013
  2. maybe so, it depends on where you're at in life, and how you handle yourself in the depths of drawdown.

If you can lose it all and still survive that's one thing

If you can lose it all and be destroyed that's another

you may well be right when it comes to ROI

but some of us have other concerns

#22     Jan 4, 2013
  3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

how does trading delta neutral vs taking delta risk depend on where you are in life?

You can lose the same amount of money in both types of trading.

#23     Jan 4, 2013
  4. see now, it's just those kind of questions that always keep me baffled.

I use to manage some opm (and still do)

and the question is always, "Why should I treat their money any different if they are 25 or 65?"

#24     Jan 4, 2013
  5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

See now, that has nothing to do with this thread. Start another thread and post there.

#25     Jan 4, 2013
  6. ok, it just has to do with how you approach the market

do you like to bet on which way it is going to go?

or do you like to keep everything more or less even, and move when you see something that doesn't look right?

#26     Jan 4, 2013
  7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

You don't understand the question posed in the thread and your straw man arguments aren't needed here.

#27     Jan 4, 2013
  8. you're probably right, I learned long ago I'm not smart enough to trade options.

I know a thing or two about getting directional and getting neutral. You can read about it on my forex thread. It is very low level.

Carry on

call me when my straw man arguments are needed

#28     Jan 4, 2013
  9. I am also curious what this means.

#29     Jan 4, 2013
  10. 1245

I did not know the answer either, so I asked him directly. He is referring to option spreads that are designed to bet where the underlying will be at expiration. An example would be a stock trading at 43 and I think in 2 months, the stock will be around 50. I could buy the 45/50 1x2 call spread betting where the stock will terminate. I did these all the time but never placed a name on the strategy.

#30     Jan 4, 2013