Deloading

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by CaptainObvious, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Okay, not a problem. But I think it ties in with the theme of the thread. Either an excessive buildup of volume or intensity may call for deloading if someone feels he is approaching an overtrained state. In fact, that's the only reason to "deload." So how much someone trains, or how close to failure he normally trains, is at the core of the issue.

#31     Aug 3, 2019
  2. Okay. That shifts the discussion to the question: "how do you know that you are in an overtrained state?"
    If I had to answer that question I would look at my training results and judge whether I see (a) no further increase in strength (weights increase) or (b) a decrease in weights. And having (a) or (b) often coupled with (c) feeling of weakness, lack of energy, lethargy. But others might use different judgement criteria.

#32     Aug 3, 2019
  3. That's a pretty good list. Here's a list offered by an author whose book I read a while back:
    1. General fatigue
    2. Persistent muscle soreness
    3. Joint soreness
    4. Elevated heart rate
    5. Irritability
    6. Loss of motivation
    7. Depression
    8. Insomnia
    9. Loss of appetite
    10. Weight loss
    11. Decreased sex drive
    12. Susceptibility to infection or disease
    https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/training-for-mass.309233/#post-4457425

I suppose an argument could be made for avoiding an overtrained state altogether by adjusting volume and frequency (don't touch my intensity! :D) using trial and error, and then sticking to it. And then either scheduling periodic breaks or taking them as needed at the first sign of overdoing it. Personally, I'd rather be slightly undertrained than slightly overtrained. And I'd prefer to take a bit of time off rather than periodically reduce intensity since I'm not much of a believer in "active recovery." But that's just my opinion based on personal preference; I could be wrong.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    #33     Aug 4, 2019
    CaptainObvious likes this.
  4. Although I agree with this approach I think that it would take quite some experience before you would be able to implement this. I think that people who reach a state of overtraining at first don't even recognize it. Only when you've experienced it once (or twice) you may get the experience to recognize those symptoms and be able to "throttle down" just before you enter the next overtrained state. That's the other difficulty with being overtrained: it is a gradual process, not something that happens overnight. As such, the symptoms may at first not be obvious and easily overlooked.

Same here: rather a bit undertrained than overtrained. I'm regularly away on a short trip during which I don't visit any gym. These interruptions prevent me from getting overtrained.

#34     Aug 4, 2019
    Frederick Foresight likes this.
  5. During the first six months of 2016 I was suffering from nearly every one of these symptoms. I kept telling myself, suck it up old man, push through. It finally took me down in July of 2016. During the next six months I lived in denial and had four trips to the ER. Feb. of 2017 I began the long road to recovery and no doubt age made the road longer. I took nearly a month off, came back really slow and all of 2017 was really working out in a recovery state. 2018 I began to put some more into it, but it was a slow grind. It wasn't until end of last year that I felt strong enough to do some serious workouts and begin taxing myself.
    Just a couple weeks ago I felt these symptoms coming on again, not to the degree they were before, but noticeable none the less. Definitely it was time for a rest, so it's been nine days today and Monday I will return to a regular schedule and routine, albeit it with some weight reduction for the first week or two. I must say I feel very rested, sleeping well, and ready to go. Don't know about regularly scheduled deloads, I just think being able to know our own bodies, being honest with ourselves and practicing some common sense will be sufficient.

#35     Aug 4, 2019
    Frederick Foresight likes this.
  6. @CaptainObvious take it easy with the weights during your first training sessions. You don't want to injure yourself due to over-enthusiasm. Good luck.

#36     Aug 4, 2019
  7. Which reminds me, the last workout I missed was on Monday, July 1, which was just over a month ago. And my left shoulder, which I most recently injured in the spring of 2013 (not in the gym), has been feeling a bit sore lately. In the normal course, I would miss tomorrow's workout, but I will miss Thursday's instead because I expect to have a hectic day on Wednesday. And since I recently wrote that I would skip a workout every three or 4 weeks as a precautionary measure, I'm overdue. So thanks for the reminder. :D As for my shoulder reminding me, I'm not nearly as thankful.

#37     Aug 4, 2019
  8. Not what I expected. My butt is kicked today. Doing 3 sets instead of the 5 I normally do, 65-70% of one rep max instead of the 75-80% that I usually do and it was murder. Barely made it through my routine. Rest tomorrow and back in the gym Wednesday. Reps were at a slower pace but Jesus, much tougher than what I was expecting.

#38     Aug 5, 2019
  9. Yes, I find doing, say, 10-12 reps to failure to be somewhat more taxing than doing 6 or so reps to failure, assuming same rep speed. The level of failure/intensity may be the same, but the time under tension is longer and perhaps has a better metabolic effect.

#39     Aug 6, 2019
  10. Wednesday workout was considerably better and today felt great. Rest the weekend, add some weight next week and go at it. We'll see how this 4 week rotation works out.

#40     Aug 9, 2019
    HobbyTrading likes this.