Dell's overseas workforce outstrips its U.S. jobs

Discussion in 'Economics' started by omcate, Apr 13, 2004.

1. There is a bit difference: the "U.S. investors" are much fewer than the guys looking for jobs or even are in starvation. When the middle class is shrinking and the tails of the bell curve expand its deviation between the very rich and the very poor the danger is that social, economical, and political explosion is latent. This can be clearly seen also in Europe where extremists political parties now reach a huge percentage: people get angry. Under developped countries are characterised by mounting inequalities so when the same mounting inequalities are developping in a country like US or Europe this shouldn't be considered as a sign of progress but as a sign of economic regression.

#21     Apr 14, 2004
  2. Yup.... so all those white collar job guys making 80K year are
    now bottling water, putting together PCs, and installing
    lucent phones at $10/hour for the guys who took their jobs.

peace

axeman

#22     Apr 14, 2004
  3. I thought about this for a while.

A few possible scenarios;

A) The fishing net (offshoring) is invented and it is allowed for American fishing men. > Productivity UP > Prices DOWN > Many fishermen go out of business, but the fishing net using, high producing fisherman makes so much money, he hires the unemployed fishermen as entertainers, doctors, tax attorneys, whatever. > Jobs remain STABLE AND Economic welfare UP

B) The fishing net (offshoring) is invented, but it is disallowed for American fishermen. Situation remains STABLE, but a chance for economic advancement is gone.

C) The fishing net (offshoring) is invented, but disallowed for American fishermen. Canadian fishermen are allowed to use fishing nets. > Price of fish DOWN > American fishermen lose their jobs. > US$ DOWN until American fish becomes attractive again for Canadian customers > American fishermen fish again with their fishing rods, but in exchange for their fish they receive less maple syrup than before the dollar drop. > Economic welfare DOWN

And in anticipation for those members who are thinking: but we have to pay the workers offshore our $'s: What do you think those workers are going to do with the US coin? Not burn it I can assure you. In order to get something for it, they have to spend it or invest it in the US. So it doesn't make a difference at all.

If I am unclear please let me know.

#23     Apr 14, 2004
  4. Ditch

Ditch

I concur. If I have a problem with e-signal, i don't even bother calling their London support department, cause i can't understand a word, these people are saying.

#24     Apr 14, 2004