Dell's overseas workforce outstrips its U.S. jobs

Discussion in 'Economics' started by omcate, Apr 13, 2004.

1. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

Never said I don't like them. I think they make a great product for a great price. That's the good thing about them. For me, a call to Dell Tech Support is a rarity. And if I bought from anyone else, I'd probably have my call directed to someone else's offshore support.

I have no problem with knowledgeable people doing the work for low cost. i've outsourced numerous projects overseas myself and worked with some who are far better than those I've worked with here. The thing is that in Dell's case, they just let the ball drop by having another firm see that good people are hired and trained properly when all they're doing is pulling up canned answers from the same database I can pull-up on-line myself. Except, I know what the answers mean and they don't, just how to repeat them.

Support is not as easy as that. My wife's an accountant and uses software specifically for accountants. They started outsourcing their support. Not only were they bad with tech support, they had no practical experience in taxes. Even the average Joe off the street here has had to deal with income taxes numerous times in their lives where very few of the people doinf the tech support for the tax program did. It was so bad that she got to the point where she'd hang up in the middle of the call, and call right back hoping to get someone more knowledgeable in the queue. Even if you have to do this 3 or 4 times to get someone knowledgeable, it beats having to deal with idiots. SHe wasn't alone in this. At the first of the year, they brought it back in house. We talked to one of the new support people and they said that they had such horrible problems, they didn't want to go into the new tax season with the outsourced support.

It can be done, but doing it right is not easy.

BTW, did anyone notice SAY the other day when IBM announced buying an outsourcing company in India... I think SAY is facing some competition.

Cash

#11     Apr 13, 2004
  2. Mecro

Mecro

Uhmmmm.

Ok maybe you are not familiar of the reputation of American cars, it is exactly one of cheap quality product.
    in 1970s Japanese cars were smaller, more fuel efficient, LESS SAFE and much less glamorous. In 1970s, USA automakers were in the pattern of making tanks, like those huge Cadillacs that eat up gasoline like nothing. They are damn safe though, I've been in a crash in one. Goddamn tank. See a Toyota handle that, haha.
    US automakers also held an almost monopoly on the US market. Japan and rising gas prices were a wake up call.

Nowdays, US cars are the cheapest due to the cheapest repair cost. IMHO and many others, they are the lowest quality and cheapest product. So hence, cheap labor=cheap product=cheap quality.

In case you have not dealt with Dell's Indian tech support, let me enligten you. In short, it's heavy accent computer monitor monkeys. They read off the screen without taking the slightest attempt to understand what you are saying. They do not know anything, only what the screen tells them. If their simpleton solutions do not work (which they usually don't), the ultimate answer is always to format your computer and re-install everything. Wow.

Like AOL 9.0Man said, Dell used to be about creative and innovative solutions. Michael Dell started out providing PCs for businesses and offices. Now he sells crap to debt ridden America, in case the commercials do not tip you off. DELL is all about cut throat profit margins, mass production and the cheapest costs. Name one occurence when those factors translated into any type of quality.

#12     Apr 13, 2004

3. No matter what you buy,you will most likely deal with an Indian or some other foreign customer service rep.I know HP does it.Pretty soon,just about every job in America can and will be outsourced.It results in cheaper products,but what's the point of cheaper products if no one has a job to earn the money to buy these products.The country is crumbling right before our very eyes.

#13     Apr 14, 2004
  4. omcate

omcate

All three of Detroit's automakers have claimed dramatic quality improvements in recent years, but they continue to be hit by a disproportionately high number of vehicle recalls.

© Reuters 2004. All Rights Reserved.
    Tue Apr 13, 2004 04:42 PM ET

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=domesticNews&storyID=4817386&section=news

#14     Apr 14, 2004
  5. How long until we start exporting our CEO'S jobs? Surely we can hire a brilliant individual from a foreign nation for a mere fraction of what we pay usa ceo's. Do we honestly need to give usa ceo's millions of stock options just so they will do the job they were hired for? Do they give janitors stock options to do the job they were hired for? I think we have all seen many examples of ceo's not worth there base pay not to mention the stock options.

#15     Apr 14, 2004
  6. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

I was gunna buy a Dell the other day. I called the sales line and got some Indian on the other end. Im not racist, but I couldnt understand a word he said because of his strong accent.

Also, I never had any confidence in anything he said.

I wanted a dual headed machine (able to run 2 screens). His solution was just plain wrong. Lord knows the trouble I would of had if I had purchased the machine only to find it didnt work as expected - having to talk and complain to some moron who thinks hes now an economic super power because hes taken my neighbors job.

oh dearie dearie me!

#16     Apr 14, 2004
  7. Maybe you should understand something: they are not working for America, America is working for them ... and if american people don't work for cheap well they look elsewhere : corporates are free to go anywhere in the world to escape tax on salaries and revenue ... but not the Citizen : Globalism for Corporates, Slavery for the People :D And if there is less and less job, who will pay more and more taxes huh ? And one day maybe you will make the link with this crazy financial system because the way economics "works" today is much due to how the market "works". When money is pumped from public purse on one side by governement taxes, on the other side by market insiders and speculators, guess how economy can do well.

#17     Apr 14, 2004
  8. And governement taxes also go to pay interest to financials : even 100% of taxes whent to financial interests as said in report by the industrialist Peter Grace to Reagan:

Grace Commission under President Reagan
    Founded in 1984 by the late industrialist J. Peter Grace and syndicated columnist Jack Anderson, CAGW is the follow-on organization to President Ronald Reagan's Private Sector Survey on Cost Control, also known as the Grace Commission. In 1982, President Reagan directed the Grace Commission to "work like tireless bloodhounds to root out government inefficiency and waste of tax dollars." For two years, 161 corporate executives and community leaders led an army of 2,000 volunteers on a waste hunt throughout the federal government. Funded entirely by voluntary contributions of $76 million from the private sector, the search cost taxpayers nothing. The Grace Commission made 2,478 recommendations which, if implemented, would save $424.4 billion over three years, an average of $141.5 billion a year – all without eliminating essential services. The 47 volumes and 21,000 pages of the Grace Commission Report constitute a vision of an efficient, well-managed government that is accountable to taxpayers. CAGW has worked to make that vision a reality and, in 17 years, has helped save taxpayers $687 billion through the implementation of Grace Commission findings and other recommendations.

http://www.uhuh.com/taxstuff/gracecom.htm

One-third of all their taxes is consumed by waste and inefficiency in the Federal Government as we identified in our survey.

Another one-third of all their taxes escapes collection from others as the underground economy blossoms in direct proportion to tax increases and places even more pressure on law abiding taxpayers, promoting still more underground economy-a vicious cycle that must be broken.

With two-thirds of everyone's personal income taxes wasted or not collected, 100 percent of what is collected is absorbed solely by interest on the Federal debt and by Federal Government contributions to transfer payments.

In other words, all individual income tax revenues are gone before one nickel is spent on the services which taxpayers expect from their Government

#18     Apr 14, 2004
  9. Conclusion: both pumping goes for the market financial interests. What is funny is the comedy of the two political parties pretending to defend one (gov) against the other (corporates) whereas the pumping goes finally in the same pocket whatever path it takes.

#19     Apr 14, 2004
  10. From a recent column by Thomas Friedman ( 3 Pulitzer Prizes, so far):

Start quote:

"How can it be good for America to have all these Indians doing our white-collar jobs?" I asked 24/7's founder, S. Nagarajan.
    Well, he answered patiently, "look around this office." All the computers are from Compaq. The basic software is from Microsoft. The phones are from Lucent. The air-conditioning is by Carrier, and even the bottled water is by Coke, because when it comes to drinking water in India, people want a trusted brand. On top of all this, Nagarajan said, 90 percent of the shares in 24/7 are owned by U.S. investors. This explains why, although the United States has lost some service jobs to India, total exports from U.S. companies to India have grown from $2.5 billion in 1990 to $4.1 billion in 2002. What goes around comes around, and also benefits Americans.

end quote.

There are always two sides to a story.

DS

#20     Apr 14, 2004