Dell's "Deals" Not So Good.. Thanks to Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnome, Jul 2, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

The current crop of Dell "deals" is about $120-$150 worse thanks to Vista.

I bought a Vostro 400 with XP on a deal which I got processed through before they noticed a $110 pricing error on the CPU.

The Vostro works OK, but the BIOS is even more restricted and they used a CPU cooler with a fan which would be difficult/impossible to replace... requiring replacing the heatsink as well.

From reading the specs, Dell desktops are tinny, flimsy, and cheapo until you get the XPS and Precision lines...

FWIW....

2. 50_Bip

50_Bip

I recently bought an Inspiron 1525 and I am thrilled with it. I did alot of shopping around, and I feel confident that i got a good deal. Seems like other manufacturers are going to have to offer Vista, so wouldn't the industry as a whole have to adjust their prices?

3. gnome

gnome

1525 is a notebook, right? That's different. About 80% of the world's notebooks are made by 5 manufacturers in Asia and rebranded...

Yes, all makers will have to adjust to Vista pricing and hardware requirements... much to the hosing of us consumers.. :mad:

4. nitrene

nitrene

From reading the specs, Dell desktops are tinny, flimsy, and cheapo until you get the XPS and Precision lines...

You're on the money there. I work in IT here in California (San Ramon) and I have bought lots of hardware and the Dell low-end hardware is terrible. On the other hand their Precision workstations are amazing -- these are the only desktops I would ever buy from Dell. They always get the bleeding edge CPUs from Intel -- Apple & Dell were the first to get the new 1600 MHz FSB CPUs.

I've never used the Vostros but they look pretty low-end from what I can tell.

Personally I would never use Vista without a minimum of 4 Gb RAM which by default means you would need the 64-bit version since the 32-bit version only recognizes the first 3 Gb of RAM. Also I would have to have a SCSI drive (10K or 15K RPM) or the WD Raptor (10K RPM) as the OS drive -- too much thrashing slows down the OS.

Sid

5. I just boughhta DellIpiron 1525 the thhin has Vista on it and is so slow and clunky this is whatmytyping looks like. It cant keepup with my typing. I hate Vitaa. I want to erase Vista and installWindows 98. FU MS.

6. gnome

gnome

Though current Dell Inspiron, Vostro and Optiplex lines have the "ubiquitous $40 mobo" used in 80-90% of the world's desktops today, it could be worse.

I recently saw a cheapo advertised at a really good price... so I checked the specs... Shocker! Most limited rig I've ever seen. Not only did it not have a PCIE slot, it had only onboard video and ONE PCI slot.... and it wasn't even SFF!

I guess it's still true... "Anything can be made cheaper".

Running on Vista with 512MB RAM, I'll bet it's a real screamer...

7. Well most of the low end computers are for home users to surf the net, etc. If you want a real computer to do trading and heavy number and data crunching on you usually have to go higher end. It's no secret, you get what you pay for...I bought my trading workstation and array from http://www.multiplexpc.com after doing a lot of research. I was able to call and ask for specific things for my system build and got a system I completely love. It reminds me of the time I bought my first BMW. I ordered it from Germany and didn't buy off the lot. Little more expensive with the shipping charge and extras I got but I had a completely customized car that I absolutely loved.

8. For a master trader you sure are the bargain hunter Gnome.

9. I have one Dell PC with Vista on it and it's a piece of shit. The operating system is so unstable you can't run more than one application at a time without the screen flickering, missing DLL's on startup, windows updates lock up the system, there's more but why continue. I'm gonna downgrade it to XP. Never seen such crap from MSFT and they have a lot of crappy software out there.

10. "I have one Dell PC with Vista on it and it's a piece of shit. The operating system is so unstable you can't run more than one application at a time without the screen flickering, missing DLL's on startup, windows updates lock up the system, there's more but why continue. I'm gonna downgrade it to XP. Never seen such crap from MSFT and they have a lot of crappy software out there"

maybe your just a clutts?

#10     Aug 20, 2008