Dell’s new 24 inch monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by opt789, Aug 12, 2011.

1. opt789

opt789

Dell just came out with a new monitor, the U2412M.
    It is a 24 inch widescreen monitor with 1920x1200 resolution which is a big deal for me because I like the extra room vs. the now standard 1080.
    This is an LED backlit screen with a budget IPS screen, which is a lot better than a TN screen, but not quite as good as a high end IPS one.

The price is the interesting part here. I have been looking for a 1920x1200 monitor for awhile and there is not much to pick from. You either pay a lot for a good IPS or get an inexpensive but lower end TN panel. So at this price to get an LED backlit IPS at that resolution, I think it is a good deal.

The list price is $399 and they charge sales tax wherever you are, but I don’t mind that part since they have a way better return policy than many monitor vendors. I called the small business department and was able to get free shipping and negotiated a nice discount.

These monitors are far from perfect since they don’t have a plethora of inputs, and all IPS screen have a slightly shiny anti glare coating which most don’t mind but some complain about, and there will be a little backlight bleed which should not be really noticeable with normal use. But the price vs. what you get makes it a nice choice for those who want to step up from TN but don’t want to pay between $500 and $1000 for a high end IPS.

I ordered two of them and they should get here in a couple weeks.

Here is a review of it:
    http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1312883832

2. looks good, like the dimensions but what do i need 16 million colors for when i only need about 5 to trade.:confused: :D

3. I bought UltraSharp™ 2408WFP 24-inch from the Dell outlet site for $399 each. I couldn't tell that they weren't brand new.
    I don't know which monitor is better but I'm satisfied with these so far.

4. opt789

opt789

These are nice monitors, and considering they are just over $300 I can’t find anything better for the price. I am now ordering a third one after testing out the two I received.

I compared them side by side with a $2000 monitor, and while obviously not quite as good, they held their own well considering their price point. And they don’t put off anywhere near as much heat as my other IPS screens, which is very nice.

If anyone is interested in these let me know and I can tell you how to get a good price and what settings to use when you get them.

5. its gonna spoil your eyes and your are gonna get cataracts when you are 50, don't do it

6. wpfund

wpfund

Opt, would like to know how to get a better price than advertized at Dell. Thanks in advance!

7. opt789

opt789

Sent you a PM.
    If you end up getting one let me know and I can give you some reference points for settings.
    The third one I ordered today is supposed to get here in a week.

8. RL8093

RL8093

I agree, almost anyone who has spent time with an IPS monitor will not want to return to TN (imho).

I've been waiting for the newer LED-backlit IPS monitors for a year or so so I can replace my older IPS screens (actually 3 IPS & one TN). However, earlier this year when several LED-backlit monitors came out & I started to read reviews, I came across several that talked about LED dimming being created by rapidly pulsing the LEDs to fool the eyes into believing the screen is dimmer. According to them, this causes severe eyestrain in some people. I know that I have my brightness control on the lowest level for my existing CFL-backlit units.

Here's an excerpt from one of the reviews:
    Does anyone have experience with LED-backlit IPS displays used for trading (8+ hour days)? I really do not want to replace my screens w/ CFL-backlights now that LED units are here but I also don't want to screw up my eyes. The few units I could find in stores (AAPL units) seemed fine - but that was not under my conditions and for 8 hours or more per day ...

My tentative plan is to purchase one of each, use them for a week side-by-side and then decide which to go with. :confused:

R

9. opt789

opt789

That sounds like the best plan, monitors are definitely a matter of preference and how you actually use them.
    I can tell you will these u2412m I have not had any problems so far, but the out of the box settings are utterly ridiculous. I can see someone buying a monitor and just turning it on and having trouble because of the default settings. The default on these is a 75 brightness but you have to take that down to the low 40s along with a few other changes to get them where they should be.

10. I believe the biggest issue with "eye troubles"... is running monitors with too much brightness relative to the ambient light in the room. And usually monitors are set at the factory waaaayyyyy too high on brightness. I'm not sure why that is. Perhaps the makers don't want users' first impression to be that the monitor seems "dull" because they first turned it on in a brightly lit room... ??

#10     Aug 23, 2011