dell

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by S2007S, Nov 21, 2006.

1. I consider Alienware in a separate division than DELL. DELL could not complete against them or Voodoo, so DELL acquired Alienware. However, Voodoo computers are said to be built better and faster than Alienware. The support is different at DELL than with Alienware. So, in theory, Alienware is currently being operated such like You Tube with Google (which we all know this will change). If DELL pulls the customer focused support away from Alienware, they will loose even more market share to HP. There was a rumor a few years ago that Michael Dell was in talks with IBM's Louis Gerstner for either an merger or acquisition. Well, both CEO's are gone now, and DELL is no where near where it was back then as the market leader. However, one needs to think on how to battle MSFT's Xbox division (which they are in a way in competition with), Apple, Google, HP, and a host of other companies. Will Palmisano consider buying DELL, who knows. But I do think DELL needs to open up their eyes and see what obstacles are a head. With little allies, I do not know where else they can go. It would be a shame if they eventually end up where Gateway is. Then again, the CEO at Gateway is... well you know.

#21     Nov 21, 2006
  2. 1. Why does Dell have to worry about the PS3/Wii but not the 360?

I agree with the AD statement, i was going to post about it but decided not to. I find the Apple commercials entertaining especially the guy(PC) that looks like Bill Gates.

#22     Nov 21, 2006
  3. I believe that was the idea. Mac - Steve Jobs (cool, hip, fresh). PC - Bill Gates (dull, boring, standard). Not personally saying this is true though. I have the utmost respect for Bill Gates. MSFT 2.0 under Ballmer, I don't know. He reminds me of Crazy Eddie.

#23     Nov 21, 2006
  4. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

Because PS3 and Wii offers real competition to PC games. And at a price tag north of $500, the decision as to upgrading your PC or buying a PS3 comes down to what you use your computer for. IF you use it to play games mostly, it makes economic sense to buy a console and keep your old computer for web browsing. And that economic decision is something DELL has to worry about.

Is someone going to spend $3000 on a Dell box to get graphics and gameplay that don't exactly reach the level of a $600 PS3?

The 360 has been out for a while so we know what kind of effect it's having on the PC gaming crowd. Most PC's out now are more powerful than it and at a price that makes getting a PC and buying an Xbox doable.

#24     Nov 22, 2006
  5. romik

romik

This might be a silly question, but why can't PC manufacturers develop a gaming environment built into PCs that operate on instant play, instead of install and pre-load principles. That IMHO will create a massive market as only then PCs will offer both - computing and instant gaming, hence no need for gaming consoles :)

#25     Nov 22, 2006
  6. Really? Funny that you say that, last time i checked the 360 is more powerful than the PS3. Epic has stated that PS3 can't handle Gear Of War for the simple fact it only has 215 RAM while the 360 has 512. The Wii being the worst/least powerful of the three, i don't see the Wii being a competitor, i's only a little bit more powerful than the original xbox.

At the end of the day it come down to game and the X360 has better/More games than the PS3 and supports the same graphics for less. Microsoft is stealing all the games from Sony and making them MSFT exclusives. The only reason the PS3 will do good is because of its customer loyalty. But, the normal consumer will look at the two and pick on price, when you see the same games on the X360 gettin better review than on the PS3. The clear winner is the X360.

SNE is forcing Blue-Ray on the PS3, this may be a good move but it also be a bad move. If they did not have Blue-Ray on their system they will have the same price point as a X360. But, SNE wants to push their format(Blue-Ray), a format that hasn't been proven.

#26     Nov 22, 2006