dell

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by S2007S, Nov 21, 2006.

1. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

-Apple makes servers?

-Apple has tie-ins with medical and government equiptment manufacturers?

-Businesses think "apple" for their computing needs?

Okay, so apple makes an idiot proof computer, per se. But Apple will have to shake off the image of simply being hip and cool and geared for multimedia. When apple starts selling computers with Vista preinstalled, maybe they might be able to be meaningful competition to DELL. But if they are going to sell OS X and Vista on the same machine, the price will have to be higher. And consumers aren't interested in paying for something that might just be a niche play and might not mean all thta much more for them.

For many consumers, if the computer on their jobs and at their schools are PC's, they're going to buy a PC and not a MAC. After all, they are already familiar with it.

#11     Nov 21, 2006
  2. S2007S

S2007S

who is buying up all these computers....I have a dell that has to be over 5 years old, paid over $2200 for it, still working fine, my other computer was built by a friend of mine for around $1000 2 years ago and the laptop i own is over 4 years old and works perfect.

How long do you use your computer before you say its time for a new one???

#12     Nov 21, 2006
  3. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

Same here. Have 2 of their laptops which I upgraded using aftermarket parts bought on EBAY 2 years ago. Not a problem since I had them. Plus I have an AXIM X50V. Trouble free.

I've also owned HP and IBMs and were satisfied. Compaq though, I have not been satisfied with. Used MACs and PCs in college. Don't get me wrong, I love MACs. But for serious business use and range of software, you just can't beat the PC.

The current spate of MAC commercials though are awesome. Very clever and very funny.

#13     Nov 21, 2006
  4. S2007S

S2007S

aapl up on rumors of their new ipod phone...what a joke..

#14     Nov 21, 2006
  5. romik

romik

PC components are "Made in Taiwan" :D

And why do DELLs suck exactly? Convince me to change my DELL for a HP or Compaq or IBM or Sony, please...

#15     Nov 21, 2006
  6. You know, you have no sense of humor. There is a holiday coming up in about 24 hours. Loosen up.

#16     Nov 21, 2006

7. In terms of reliablity, they rank fourth or fifth. Not blaming the battery or anything, but their mid-range systems are not what they used to be. With better, faster computers being made by Apple, HP, IBM/lenovo, and Toshiba, their quality is not what it used to be. The support is not the greatest either. In terms of support, IBM and HP had been the best I experienced.

#17     Nov 21, 2006
  8. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

Yeah, support has been a sore spot for DELL. Especially the outsourcing to India. But it has been picking up lately. As far as reliability, please cite your source.

DELL outsells their nearest competitor by a factor of 2. They outsell Apple and IBM Lenovo by a factor of 7. So they would have at least twice as many "complaints." And since DELL tends to competively price their PCs and only sells them online (in most cases), often less sophisticated consumers buy their low end machines and have complaints that more sophisticated buyers wouldn't have. Many times, it literally is the customer's fault. And their low end machines, which their competitors don't really make given the tight margin, and not up to snuff.

Anyway, a lot of the surveys do not properly weight their data nor do they regress it.

As far as faster computers being made... well, I think you are mistaken about that. DELL makes some of the fastest machines for the money. KEY PHASE: "for the money."

And that is what sets DELL apart.

Sure IBM and APPLE make superior machines that are generally better made. But you pay a premium for that which for most is just not worth it. And the compenents they offer in their standard configurations cost more than a fully loaded DELL which will have better specs at a cheaper price.

#18     Nov 21, 2006
  9. That may be true, but the average person who buys an Alienware, Apple, or high-end IBM are not really cost sensitive. I consider myself a savvy buyer, and I picked up a DELL laptop M 170 in Dec. 05. Upgraded with Micron memory (the best) to 2 GB's of RAM, and it was still very slow. DELL support looked at it and said it was fine. Then they blamed the speed of the processor, which at that time, was state of the art. Nevertheless, I just sold it on eBay a few months ago and picked up a Macbook Pro. I am very happy with it. I actually prefer a Linux box, but the availability of switching to Windows for access to all Windows programs.

A little brackgound on yours truly.. As you may had guessed by my username, I might know a thing or two on computers. Started in the 80's working @ IBM. Also worked for MSFT in the 90's. Never worked at Apple. I've always (at least was) a staunch supporter of PCs and MSFT. However, comparing a Core Duo Apple with Windows compatibility to a DELL is like comparing apples to oranges (pardon the pun).

What DELL really needs is to get rid of Rollins and have Michael comeback to refocus things. I am sure, he doesn't want to, but the company needs it. Rollins doesn't know how to get himself out of a paper bag. Just look at the stock after Michael left.

#19     Nov 21, 2006
  10. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

For the record, I loathe MSFT. But, for what I do, I haven't a viable alternative.

I, like you, have a background in computers. Was a programmer back in the day but feel in love with finance. The rest is history and I became an end-user.

Though, it's true - if you can afford an Alienware(Dell owned), etc., you won't be price sensitive and will be looking to get the best of the best. But you'll be "spec" sensitive at the same time. Usually though, home high-enders are either gamers or multimedia enthusiasts. You don't think of a MAC in terms of high end gaming. Neither IBM or SONY. DELL may have to worry about consoles like the new PS3 and Wii. Not so much the XBOX 360.

But DELL is perhaps the only maker of high end Gaming Laptops.

DELL does need Mike to dip his foot in the pool again. There seems to be a complacency at Dell right now. Even their adds aren't turning anyone on. So you can get a custom built computer. That's nothing new. They need to drop their ad campaign and go back to the hip "Dude, you're getting a DELL" style adds to compete with APPLE's highly effective, and memorable ads. (Too bad that actor in Dell's old commercials got caught with pot. Killed the campaign.) They also need a new ergonomics design team to make their products more appealing. Inserting plastic inserts with various colors or patterns or even college team logos, into a squarish box is not all that big of a deal.

DELL need a synonymous-ness. Like when you think mp3 player, you think Ipod. Right now, they only thing they have going for themselves is that you get a lot for the money. That makes DELL computers a commodity. But buying a Dell is sort of a compromise. You get a good product for less, but you get less customer service if you need it.

At ~30% of market share, they need to get on the ball with fresh thinking if they want to maintain that for the next 5 years.

#20     Nov 21, 2006