Dell XPS 13, anyone? And Mac vs Windows...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OctopodeClub, Nov 18, 2016.

1. I am looking to replace my MacBook Pro, primarily because I travel a lot and that thing is heavy at four and a half pounds.

I am looking at the XPS 13 which seems to have ridiculous battery life and it's fairly lightweight. If anyone has it can you comment on the battery life when trading and having all of your charts up? I usually only get about 2 hours when I have thinkorswim up on my Mac Book Pro.

Finally, do I lose anything going to Windows from Mac?

2. Sig

Sig

I just got one, recommend you give a look at Dell Outlet when there's a 50% off coupon. I picked a refurbished core-i7 for sub-$400 including shipping. I haven't done a ton of battery work on it, it tells me that I've got 4 hours of life on battery when doing Excel work with some browsing, but haven't tested to see if I'll actually get that. It is a nice piece of equipment, but I'm coming from a Latitude gunboat so the bar is probably pretty low for me on size and weight.

OctopodeClub likes this.
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Why not just get a Macbook Air? It's definitely my #1 choice for traveling.

OctopodeClub likes this.
  4. That's my other option, but I REALLY dislike their glossy screen. It's also pretty long in the tooth... I could always wait and get the Air once it gets upgraded in June... but that's a LONG time to wait :p

How many hours of trading do you get on your battery? Is it a i5 or i7 Air? The problem for me is ThinkOrSwim is just such a huge battery drain I only get 2 hours out of my MBPR 15" right now...

5. Oh I had no idea Dell also offered refurbished ones! I would have to wait, however, since I really want the new Kirby Lake i5 due to the lower power consumption and larger battery :/

6. Sig

Sig

Yeah, the one I just bought was only gen 2, so you have to be OK with being a bit behind the curve in exchange for the deal.

OctopodeClub likes this.
  7. Just get what you want -- don't overthink laptops o_O:), or alot of other things too for that matter.
    ...you will Never be 100% sure or happy. -- you just have to go with it,

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    OctopodeClub likes this.
  8. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I had an i5 and the battery life was pretty insane, I would get at least 8 hours on it with no trouble. My macbook pro drains pretty fast like yours but these days I usually have it plugged in if I'm running a pretty intensive app so the battery life isn't really an issue in my case.

OctopodeClub likes this.
  9. What charting software were you running on this by any chance? Or just browsing here and there...

10. volente_00

volente_00

Are you sure you will like moving from a 15" to a 13"?

#10     Nov 18, 2016