Dell Vostro's for Trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by listedguru, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Strongly agree.

It's something I myself have done and I'm not a gamer nor do I have games on my systems.

Mark

#41     May 1, 2008
  2. gnome

gnome

Probably NOT. The Vostro is one which ETers have had difficulty getting more than 2 monitors to run. IF (BIG IF) the BIOS will let you run the onboard with the PCIE slot you'll be able to run 3 monitors. However, I think you should be prepared to accept that you will be able to run only 2 monitors.

#42     May 1, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

The T3400 has an X38 mobo, not X48. Most if not all of Dell's mobos have been made by Foxconn in recent years, so it's likely that is the case for the T3400 as well.

They are NOT "standard ATX". Dell has their own physical parameters for the size of the mobo, and they generally won't line up with mounting holes in other cases.... nor will other mobos work in a Dell case.

(Years ago Dell also used "non-ATX standard" PSU's too, but they got so many complaints they switched to using ATX standard. No problem now swapping out a Dell PSU for any other.... with attention to the power switch on the back, of course.)

#43     May 1, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

You know that sounds like it makes sense, but I doubt it's true.

Logically, currently available workstation cards have waaaayyy more graphics capacity that will ever be challenged by a trading environment.

To run video so that it appears to have "smooth, continuous motion", the video card has to be able to display a minimum of 24fps. And that of course, is redrawing the entire screen. (So, if you can watch a movie on your trading rig with a workstation video card, the card is at least as fast as it needs to be for trading.)

In trading, not only is there infrequent "redrawing the entire screen"... only a TINY percentage of it is redrawn with data price changes and "last bar" graphics, plus prices are not changing "24 times per second". (If prices were changing 24 times per second or faster, we'd never see the price in cents.. except for lulls where the price changed slowed to be less than 24x/sec.)

#44     May 1, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

Cinematic film runs at 24fps because that is the minimum speed our eyes and brain can perceive frame change as "continuous motion"

Why then do video card makers go for ever faster gaming FPS if we can't see >24fps?

Marketing? "Our card will do 120fps, so it's better than one doing only 60fps?"

I can see gaming cards going for more grunt so they can display higher resolutions.. but faster? Seems like a wasted effort.

#45     May 1, 2008
  6. No, sorry. I was just addressing the "portrait mode" question. I was NOT saying a Quadro NVS 285 is what YOU need to be able to run 3 monitors. I was just explaining how simple it is to run monitors in portrait mode IF you have the Quadro NVS 285 card installed (which only supports TWO monitors). If the Vostro is having problems with that card then you should probably look for a different card.

I will say that I do not own a Vostro, but if you are unable to disable on-board video in the BIOS, then I would venture to say that you're going to have problems with almost ANY video card. To my understanding, you MUST disable on-board video to use any add-in graphics card.

#46     May 1, 2008
  7. gnome

gnome

Often true, but not always.

#47     May 1, 2008
  8. In what instances? I do not know of any system that can be configured to use on-board video in conjunction with an add-in graphics card.

#48     May 1, 2008
  9. Tums

Tums

You have mistaken the game card's FPS. It is not a comparison with the cine FPS.

#49     May 1, 2008
  10. gnome

gnome

Can you explain how it's different? If a game is being displayed at 30fps is the motion not smooth and continuous?

And while the mechanism of achieving their fps is different, I doubt the eye perceives a difference...

#50     May 1, 2008