Dell Vostro's for Trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by listedguru, Apr 28, 2008.

1. What is funny is you all are arguing which one is better when both those cards most likely share the same GPU.
    i don't know how it is done now but but it is still probably the same still , the same line(all 8000 or all 6000 etc) of cards share the same GPU architecture(like what Intel does) what really differentiates them is the core clock speed(and memory speed) ,included cache memory, and what the software drivers enabled for the cards.
    The Quadro line shared the same GPU's as the FX cards also. what use to mainly differentiate them was that the cards usually came with significant more memory, ran slower for stability, and the softwre drivers enabled more fetures for CAD use. Some people use to run the Quadro drivers on fx cards to basically turn that card into a quadro. simple as that.
    see here to compare.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_14605.html
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce8.html
    they look the same to me. i would probably get the 8300 since its alot cheaper.

#31     Apr 29, 2008
  2. I have a vostro 400 i got from the refurb site with a 8600 gts and it works great for two 19" monitors.
    You don't need an 8600 gts though. i think an 8300 or nvs 290 would probably suffice. I have my vostro on the floor and I can barely hear it so i don't think sound would be a problem.
    I love it too. not too big and pretty powerful to run whatever you want right now. could not beat the refurb price either. you can get some really good deals on the scratch and dents.

#32     Apr 29, 2008
  3. got any ideas on how to run 3
    monitors?

just need 3 to run in portrait mode.
    2 20 in
    1 24 in

i'm pretty much open to any ideas here.

#33     Apr 29, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

There isn't anything magical or desirable about a card becoming a "quadro"... it's just the name.

Using the wrong driver is a risky* play. Nvidia tech claims that Quadro and GeForce cards are not compatible together, so you should use the proper driver for your card. (Though I have heard someone claim they once ran an 8800 with a NVS 280 PCI on the NVS driver.)

Anyone can usually buy an NVS 285 on eBay for $25-$35... a 290 for, $45-$60, shipping included. (I've purchased 285's for <$10, and 290's for <$30, shipping included.)

*You'd think you could just uninstall the driver and replace with the correct one if things didn't work right, but I once had to reinstall Windows due to a video card driver which wouldn't uninstall fully.

#34     Apr 30, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

1. Depends upon your your PC's mobo.

2. For portrait mode, ask around (including ET) which cards and monitors work well in portrait. Not all do. Have you purchased the monitors already?

#35     Apr 30, 2008
  6. What Im trying to say is that they shared the same GPU... literally.
    People used Quadro drivers to enable some features that the fx drivers didn't have. so they bought a cheaper fx card and got the benefits(for CAD shading filtering etc) of a quadro. so yes there was a difference in features but mainly enabled through the drivers.
    I agree though that the intended drivers should be used.
    anyways mute point.

#36     Apr 30, 2008

7. already got the vostro 400. whatever mobo comes in that, the one everyone is having problems running with.

the monitors are samsungs 20's and dell 24

#37     May 1, 2008
  8. Not quite sure why you would want to run all three monitors in portrait mode. Normally one would run the 24" in landscape and use the 20" monitors in portrait mode, utilizing them as "wing" panels that flank the 24" monitor.

But you can set up any orientation you wish. It's very simply to set monitors in portrait. Just do the following:

1.) right click on your desktop and select properties > settings.
    2.) select the monitor you wish to change the orientation of.
    3.) click the Advanced button.
    4.) click the Quadro NVS 285 tab.
    5.) select NVRoatate and choose from the available landscape/portrait settings and then click Apply.

#38     May 1, 2008
  9. Is Foxconn the maker of the Intel x48 motherboards in the T3400, also? And do you know if it's a standard ATX flavor?

#39     May 1, 2008
  10. so basically telling me that if I get a Quadro NVS 285, I'll be able to run 3 monitors correct?

Does everyone agree? if so, i guess i'll get it.

(their website states that the 285 supports dual monitors...a max of 2, nothing more.)

#40     May 1, 2008