Dell Vostro Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by listedguru, May 22, 2008.

1. Bought a Vostro 1700 about 2 weeks ago.

Not used for trading, but my configuration would certainly support it.

As for TruLife... the rule of thumb is if primary usage is outdoors, it's useful.

For the record, overall, I am not impressed with the Vostro. Likely my last Dell product.

Osorico

#11     May 22, 2008
  2. I purchased a Vostro 15" right at the end of the first quarter when Dell was trying to juice their returns so they were making some nice deals.

Purchased a vostro 1500 running windows XP pro with a core 2 duo T8100 (2.1Gwith 3MB L2 cache), 2G RAM (upgrade to 4G not cost effective through Dell - will do myself), 160GB 7200rpm impact protective drive. Trulife XGA+ screen & webcam (for $20 why not), DVD burner, wifi.

Chose 15" over 17" due to a 4 hour battery life and I just find the 17" unweildy. I rarely open more than 4 charts simultaneously - personal preference, you may need more.

Cost about $820 with discount. Thought that was a fair price.

I primarily run Amibroker. A 65000 step optimization that took forty minutes on my old Toshiba A75 now takes about 6 minutes. I am certain I can get the time down by tweaking, but who has the time?

I think its fine for my purposes, but I don't scalp. Probably ok for a scalper too. This is the first dell I have owned, and I am happy with the build of the Vostro, particularly when comparing to the newer Toshibas, HP, and Vaios which are sexy but notoriously frail.

Will probably go with a Vostro for a desktop set using the E8200 or similar penryn processor in a while as well. Previously used a shop called ABS which has really declined as the clone makers have been decimated (except the high end gamer machines which are just overkill usually unless you are scalping or doing AT with statistical arbitrage, in which case faster = better)

Hope that helps.

#12     May 22, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

Man-up with a T3400, would you? :D

#13     May 22, 2008
  4. buybig

buybig

ditto,

trade from the coffee shop or bar..

key is to get XP NOT vista...and no big brand (hp,sony etc) due to the fact that there is SOOO much crap to slow it down

2cent

#14     May 22, 2008
  5. Thanks for all the input. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Vostro 1500. It should suit my needs well (I hope, lol)...

-Guru

#15     May 23, 2008
  6. Heh... Ur just talking your position

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=127239

I would prefer a desktop and a nice monitor but I have no space for it right now (cramped quarters, small kids) so the laptop is more functional. But I do want that processor... or the even faster 9000 series one. Give me computational power and speed!!!!!

#16     May 23, 2008
  7. netedge

netedge

I'm using a Vosto 1500 laptop 15.4 right now with 2 Gb memory, XP and the Tru Brite screen. It's Ok - not great - not too bad but it has its warts. The worst is that whenever the unit goes to sleep it does not automatically connect wireless when it comes out of sleep mode.

Do I have to disconnect and reconnect wireless every time it comes out of sleep mode or when it is turned on - annoying. The customer support at Dell could not diagnose the problem. However they did solve a couple of other problems for me just fine by taking remote control of the machine which I thought was neat.

#17     May 23, 2008
  8. gnome

gnome

Just goofing on you. I wasn't hoping you'd buy it... it's already gone. In fact, someone lamented there not being another for him to buy... :>)

A Vostro will be OK so long as you don't care to run more than 2 monitors on it.

#18     May 23, 2008
  9. gnome

gnome

It seems ALL laptops have a wart or two.

#19     May 23, 2008
  10. Can anyone recommend a good AV software for my new Vostro laptop? I've used Norton in the past but I'm looking for something different. Cheap is good (free is okay too, lol)...

-Guru

#20     May 28, 2008