Dell Vostro... 4-Monitor... Quad or 2 Dualheads... Anybody Using?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnome, Feb 28, 2008.

1. tradethetrade

tradethetrade Vendor

So gnome has anyone been successful running 3 monitors on a dell inspiron 530? I just called dell and the tech wasn't all sure but she told me that I could install a video card and use the onboard card but it has to be a pci card and not a pci-e and that the picture isn't going to be that great of quality. Weird answer but I guess the inspirons work with a video card plus onboard. Anybody tried the inspiron 530?

#41     Apr 30, 2008
  2. gnome

gnome

If I recall correctly, somebody on ET has 4 monitors running on a 530.

The tech's statement about the "PCI displays not great quality" is false. If it works at all, the picture will be just fine.

Whether you can use the onboard video chip with another card is up to the BIOS... I wouldn't trust Dell tech's statement about that, either. They just are not well schooled on multi-card setup and use.

You'll just have to try it and see.

So, if you want to try to run 3 monitors on your 530, you have to decide whether you want to try "onboard + dualhead PCI" or "onboard + PCIE dualhead". If you have extra cards or can get one out of another computer, try it. By process of elimination you should be able to find out which, if either, will work.

What monitors are you planning to use?

#42     Apr 30, 2008
  3. tradethetrade

tradethetrade Vendor

I am hoping to bring a 530 to Brazil where I live so I am really hoping that it works. My plan is to use 2 dual head pci cards in it to get 4 or onboard+2 dual card pci card to get 5. The 530 is cheap and small which makes it easy to bring it without paying duty charges. Has to be under $500.

I am running 3 samsungs right now on ati radeon cards.

#43     Apr 30, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

You might have to make an adjustment to the onboard chip through the BIOS to run extra video cards, so keep that in mind.

#44     Apr 30, 2008