Dell Vostro... 4-Monitor... Quad or 2 Dualheads... Anybody Using?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnome, Feb 28, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

What did you do to get it to finally recognize?

#11     Feb 28, 2008
  2. This is hard to believe.
    I really could use some CLARIFICATION on this point.

#12     Feb 28, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

I've had "Dell video cards" before only to find out that they are actually OEM [not all, of course].. and a problem working with others.

#13     Feb 28, 2008
  4. My friend dicked with it until he got it to work. He still didn't get it exactly right because I had to disable the nvadia service because when I booted up I got some error report report "send request".

Once I went to services and disabled nvadia services I quit getting the report.

John

#14     Feb 28, 2008
  5. I think the drivers need to come of the dell site somewhere, although a quick check by me didn't find the ones for the 5200 listed.

John

#15     Feb 28, 2008
  6. gnome

gnome

For there to be Dell drivers, Dell would have had to have offered that card as an option originally. In the absence of that, you have to try and fuss with other drivers and hope you can get them to work.

#16     Feb 28, 2008
  7. This guy built other machines for me and is the type to not give up until it works. I trade a friend and he also bought the card to put into an older compaq machine.

Ray, my friend, had issues with the compaq machine recognizing the 5200 card also.

So I believe that is why he believed the nvadia drivers were not right. But you know how computer geeks are. They always got some excuse.

From the internet I found a forum where a guy had problems with dell recongizing second cards. The "expert" on the forum said that the dell drivers were different in some way and were to be used for cards in general.

John

John

#17     Feb 28, 2008
  8. gnome

gnome

Sounds like that was a "3rd Party" card... always a potential issue with drivers on those anyway.

#18     Feb 28, 2008
  9. It was a PNY card.

John

#19     Feb 28, 2008
  10. gnome

gnome

In any event, trying to run 2 or more cards is always at least somewhat a hit-and-miss proposition... unless the cards were inteded for such use, like workstations models.

To avoid potential hassles, traders who are going to run multi-card really should be looking at Nvidia Quadro NVS or Matrox from the get go. There were designed for such.

#20     Feb 28, 2008