Dell T3500

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharp10, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Overclocking for a trading rig is necessary?
    You've got to be kidding!

#31     Aug 4, 2009
  2. deleted.

I am not going be responsible for hijacking a ET thread.

apologies

#32     Aug 4, 2009
  3. 3121

it's necessary to get the most value from your dollar. you want to be a smuck .. be my guest :D

#33     Aug 4, 2009
  4. Voted dumb post of the week.

Since when is a Dell T3400 Precision Workstation with an Intel "Wolfsdale" E8400 processor at 3.0 with a 6MB cache not a value?

If you want to create more "heat" in your computer case by "overclocking" and/or purchasing a 95w processor, be my guest.

Total waste of time and money.
    :D

#34     Aug 4, 2009
  5. pkts

pkts

LOL, I'll take the other side of that bet. Can't say why (I guess I treat em well) but I always get great usage out of computers. My laptop is a bargain basement one and it's still running great after 3 years. I used my last desktop for 5 years. We'll see.

#35     Aug 4, 2009
  6. pkts

pkts

I agree, wouldn't do anything else as a first step. But I'm not even using a fifth of its abilities. Like a Ferrari in traffic.

#36     Aug 4, 2009
  7. pkts

pkts

That's quite a stretch comparison-wise. Oh wait....he doesn't squeeze more performance out of processor vs a trade. I guess I see. Personally, I'll take 90% profit from a trade that is easy than sticking around with risk waiting for the last 10%.

But we are talking about computer recommendations. The guy could be the worst possible trader in the world and still give good comp advice.

#37     Aug 4, 2009
  8. pkts

pkts

Usually I'd agree. I remember getting a 486 which had the ability to add an overdrive processor later. Wow future proof! LOL

But I don't think the 90s compare much to the 2000s. Seems like computers are improving at a much slower rate.

#38     Aug 4, 2009
  9. Guilty! You nailed me. :D

#39     Aug 4, 2009
  10. sharp10

sharp10

I appreciate everyone's input and discussion.

When it comes to computers I try to defer to those who already use the same applications I use and compare their machines to what I think would be enough.

I'm sure if I had the knowledge I could build my own machine at better value.

#40     Aug 4, 2009