Dell sends cardboard CD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by reiehaxm, Jun 22, 2005.

1. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

i took delivery of a new dell on wednesday too - no cd like you guys.

so what happens when the os crashes and wont load forcing a reinstall?

we'll all be fooked

#11     Jun 24, 2005
  2. This is standard and has been for a long time already.

If you want the actual CD, pick up the phone and call them , demand that they send you the cd and they will.

Just be prepared to wait 4 to 8 weeks.
    :D

#12     Jun 24, 2005
  3. lassiter

lassiter

lilboy is correct. The OS images are on the harddrive. Just burn yourself a copy. You should then have what you need.

lassiter

#13     Jun 24, 2005
  4. mamt8r

mamt8r

Could anyone recommend minimum specs for trading off a laptop? I do a little traveling and actually use an office with a t-1 line when away from home office. Ive been looking for a good deal on a laptop, but not too sure what to get. Id like to get one so I can set up a wireless system around the house. That way I can watch whats going on and do other things like relax on my couch or watch tv. I know it sounds lazy, but Im watching the futures markets at all hours of the day sometimes and would like to just set some alerts and then take a closer look at whats going on. Id also like to watch a movie on the plane so I guess I deff. need a dvd player in it.

Is there any difference between the P4 and a celeron processor? Celeron's obviously seem like a cheaper system and was just curious how huge of a difference this would be.

Any dell deals you come across or could recommend would be great. Many thanks in advance.

:)

#14     Jun 24, 2005
  5. gnome

gnome

Dell has regularly been offering laptops at up to $750 off... keep checking.

1. You'll want 512mb or 1gb RAM and a good screen... WUXGA/UXGA is the best resolution.

2. Centrino for wireless

3. Celerons differ from P4s primarily by the amount of cache memory on the chip. Celeron Ms have up to 1 mb cache now, and that's plenty.

All else is just bells and whistles for trading.

#15     Jun 24, 2005
  6. mamt8r

mamt8r

Thank you very much!

Im looking over the website now. Just trying to get an idea on prices. Figure, Im going to sign up for there email and try and specify looking for a laptop. But, I will deffinetly keep those specs in mind.

#16     Jun 24, 2005
  7. gnome

gnome

Suggest you also consider Circuit City. I have a friend who is the head tech guy at his store. He says we should buy at CC and get the extended warranty..... only CC among the big retailers honors warranty for failed battery, and odds of a battery failure within 3 years is virtually 100%.... he also says odds of a screen failure in 3 years is 50-50. It's highly likely the exended warranty will pay for itself.

#17     Jun 24, 2005
  8. mamt8r

mamt8r

interesting. ill try and take a look this weekend.

#18     Jun 24, 2005
  9. I recently purchased a Dell Laptop as a graduation present for a relative. Yesterday, I took delivery, and as many have posted, I too found no OS CD. I logged onto Dell Support Chat and requested a copy. Within ten minutes, I had a tracking number for the OS CD. Estimated delivery time: 2- 3 business days. According to Dell Support, the practice of not sending the OS CD began in November 2004.

- Spydertrader

#19     Jun 24, 2005
  10. replacement battery on ebay is less than 100. 3 year extended warranty is at least 200-250.

my dell 600m cost me 800bucks, why would i want to toss 1/4 of my computer's cost into an extended warranty when i can just buy another one within 2 years?

#20     Jun 24, 2005