Dell Refurbished

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by waggie945, Jul 7, 2003.

1. gnome

gnome

Not sure, but I've heard that if you buy a computer as a "business" customer, you pay sales tax. If as an individual, you don't. Worth checking out before you buy or accept a "deal" on the business side.

#21     Jul 11, 2003
  2. Ordered my refurbished Dell on tuesday and just got it.

#22     Jul 11, 2003
  3. Dell only charges you tax if you purchase a computer from their Small Business division. That's why you see these 10% off coupons floating all around. They are being given out by Dell as an incentive to purchase a computer from their Small Business division. It basically winds-up cancelling out the tax.

I just purchased a Dell 8300 on the refurbished site earlier this week for $775 + shipping and there was a very small tax charge of about $8.00 on the SHIPPING, not on the computer!

#23     Jul 12, 2003
  4. I am currently trading onsite ...but I want to have a new computer at home should I just buy a laptop so I can bring my computer with me to work? I currently have a 4 year old p3 at home , not the best computer but its good for looking around the internet. What are your suggestions?

#24     Jul 12, 2003
  5. Hey, Waggie. Yeah, I think charging tax on shipping is B.S., too. Tax on a service?? There was a time when service was not taxable--only 'physical' things/products. Shipping isn't a physical 'thing' (unless you have a 'thing' for the UPS driver...). Also, not too long ago, ordering out of state was not taxable. I guess nowadays, almost everything is (remember the joke floating around the office about the penis tax and the air tax?).

Anyway, here's the skinny on taxes and buying from Dell:

>buy from Small, Medium & Large Biz: TAXED, PERIOD.
    >buy from Home & Home Office: Depends upon your state.

For some strange reason, Dell isn't posting what states they collect taxes from at this time--they used to. Maybe so many states are jumping on board to collect taxes from Dell customers that they can't keep the site updated. Looking at my last billing statement from 1/23/03, Dell directly collects taxes on orders delivered to:

>Texas, Kentucky, Idaho, Nevada, N. Carolina, Tennessee, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida.

NOW TECHNICALLY, if you live in one of the other 41 states that 'aren't' taxed, you MAY go by the 'honor system'. This means that you're expected to CLAIM the tax on the out-of-state purchase and send the money to your Governor come April 15. California just instated this rule/law. (Don't tell the cops, but I didn't learn of this rule until after April 15 :p ).

This should close the book on any questions about 'Dell and Taxes' (Death and Taxes, Death and Texas :confused: ) :cool:

#25     Jul 12, 2003