Dell Prices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Htrader, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Htrader

Htrader Guest

I thought my $250 19in LCD and my $850 pentium D computer was just a bit too cheap.

I wonder if dell might uptick their prices a bit after the earnings miss.

2. they cant. the world is flooded with cheap hardware.

3. ba3698

ba3698

I doubt they would increase prices. They focus on large volume working with an efficient supply chain.

4. ozzy

ozzy

5. what's to come of dell, will they make it?

6. ozzy

ozzy

Not too sure exactly what you mean. These are the specs:

Dimension XPS Gen 5

* DIMENSION XPS GEN 5 Pentium® 4 Processor 650 with HT Technology (3.40GHz, 800 FSB)
    * Memory FREE Upgrade to 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz ($250 Value)
    * Keyboard Dell Wireless Keyboard and Optical Mouse
    * Monitor 19 inch Ultrasharp™ 1905FP Digital Flat Panel
    * Video Cards 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800
    * Hard Drive 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    * CD or DVD Drive Dual Drives: 48x CD-RW Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ double layer write capable
    * Sound Cards Sound Blaster Audigy™ 2 ZS (D) Card w/Dolby 5.1, IEEE 1394 capability
    * Media Center Enhancements Single TV Tuner with Remote Control TVT1

ozz

P.S I think I'll call and change my order. I really would like to get the dual core CPU.

7. Aside from the dual core CPU issue, you're obviously set up as is to handle a lot more than trading, unless you want to add another 1GB of memory at some point.

A computing stalwart, indeed. See the April PC Magazine review for its closely configured XPS Gen 5:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1784526,00.asp

8. dualcore -- hyperthreading--
    does the OS/software have to be specifically designed to support these new features? for example i remember MMX needed specific codes to take advantage of it.

9. ba3698

ba3698

Check out this post a former employee from Dell made, apparently you can get a 20-30% discount every day.

#10     Aug 14, 2005