Dell Precision T3600

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by justrading, Apr 10, 2013.

1. ofthomas

ofthomas

some of your assumptions have not been for a long time, lastly... from the vendor site...

Key Features:
    > Outstanding performance for the entry level market
    > Supports three independent displays with AMD Eyefinity multi-display technology
    > 1GB of high speed GDDR5 memory
    > Parallel processing architecture featuring 480 stream processors
    > Support for both dual-link DVI and DisplayPort connectivity
    > AutoDetect technology instinctively optimizes performance for multiapplication workflow
    > Optimized and certified for many CAD and DCC applications
    > Full DirectX® 11 and OpenGL®support
    > PCI Express® 2.1 compliant

http://www.fireprographics.com/resources/50612A_FirePro_V4900_Datasheet_FINAL.pdf
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14253_div/14253_div.PDF

#81     Apr 19, 2013
  2. ofthomas

ofthomas

olders connectors will always be provided for backward compat.. kind of sucks they dont include a DP cable to be honest... HP does... :p

#82     Apr 19, 2013
  3. Yeah, I bought my first computer in the '80s, plus a bunch of books on programming, databases, word processing and spreadsheets. DOS, Win 3.1 the latest but without the mouse quite useless. Lotus 1-2-3, Wordstar, then WordPerfect the cat's whiskers. 10mb hard disk plenty, 20mb quite extravagant.

Read the books, then made a decision that I would focus on using the beast, let others do the programming and repairs etc. I would use it to do what I do.

I've stuck with that ever since. When I need a new machine I research, otherwise there is just a vague awareness of developments.

#83     Apr 19, 2013
  4. This link works;
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/132871-33-bought-wrong-cable-modified

#84     Apr 19, 2013
  5. I think this system is overkill; however, it's your money and your expectations.

cpusolutions is where I bought my system a year ago...

I think it was $900 then I got a viewsonic 1080p 24 inch screen...

the one thing I like to do is get a sweet graphics card. I will pay for that. but once you do that, you have to worry about overheating.

never a problem.. happy

#85     Apr 19, 2013
  6. Don't know about the overkill, but it most certainly is way too expensive. Unfortunately Dell Outlet does not ship internationally, and even if I circumvent that I won't have the warranty.

My Acer cost me about $750 a little over 2 years ago. Prior to that I used a 12" laptop for 7 years, simply adding a 19" monitor when I started trading. I only switched when the laptop died and was clearly obsolete. I would use the Acer for another 4 or 5 years, but the fact of the matter is since 14th February it has kept me out of the market for 5 weeks and that has cost me money.

If I were a price action day trader, the new rig would have about 3 times more juice than I need, but I am not. I rely heavily on Excel, crunching numbers every day. Also, TWS is a memory hog so I have worked on the basis of Excel + TWS + Sierra Charts in that order.

I'm paying for 3 years warranty with next business day on site service. I'm paying so that I can further customise TWS. I'm paying so that when Excel is computing a volatility surface or running a Monte Carlo simulation I don't have to wait so long. As a bonus, I won't have to minimise and restore charts and spreadsheets dozens of times a day every day.

Is it going to be worth it? I'll let you know in 5 or 7 years. :)

#86     Apr 19, 2013