Dell Precision T3400 or T5400?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by icarus618, Oct 21, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

Well, let's see...

256/4 = 64x the amount necessary. Yes, I'd say that is enough. :D

#21     Oct 22, 2008
  2. Spunky

Spunky

I too bought a Dell T3400 last June almost the same as Landis82 and it is the coolest running computer I have ever had. I have been very happy with it using 3 monitors. I read all the threads that Gnome wrote and decided that was what I needed. Thanks Gnome for the info

#22     Oct 22, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

YW. I liked mine so much, I bought 2 more...

#23     Oct 22, 2008
  4. Hey gnome, just gotta poke you in the ribs for this:

You spend money for 2 more computers because you "liked [yours] so much" while wondering why people don't follow your great advice to save money on a computer purchase and then you PM me about selling me your nvs 290 cards for "less than what I can get from Dell or retail" that Dell sells for $80.

Tell me you don't find the humor in that. :p

All the best

#24     Oct 22, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

Gee, never thought of it as humorous... I'm just a back-up anal retentive.. and and one time this summer I had 10 computers. Thinking that was a bit much, so I got rid of 5 of them.. and have a few parts left over... I sold some of the extra RAM on CraigsList this past weekend..

So, what's humorous about offering somebody a better deal than they can get from Dell directly??

#25     Oct 22, 2008
  6. There's no humor in the offer itself, but for an $80 card I thought it was an unusual offer to waste time with packing, shipping, payment, etc. - time that could be better spent posting on ET maybe.

10 computers??? To each his own, but you spoke like you picked up a couple more computers just because you liked it while in an earlier post you criticized someone you were helping for adding $1200 of "unnecessary" upgrades....what's the saying about trying to explain humor to someone who doesn't get it? OK, how about this, do you at least detect any irony there?

Hey, most of what I spend my money on is unnecessary and liking something is the best reason to buy it. Unfortunately there are fewer and fewer things that I get much enjoyment from buying. I do enjoy making a lot of money and supporting others, though.

I also enjoy being somewhat efficient in how I do things. I wanted to be in the ballpark and not overspend too much for a replacement trading box. You helped me do that, so I thank you.

All the best to you, and I sincerely mean it.

#26     Oct 22, 2008
  7. gnome

gnome

1. My boxes are full of 290s and I've still got a couple left over. So it's either sell them or have them sit on the shelf and likely never be used.

2. The sales rep wanted to add a CAD video card for an extra $1000 in a trading rig + a CPU "upgrade" where the performance difference was about 1%. I still call that "unnecessary".

No irony or humor at all. Common sense. Logic.. Good stuff for a trader to practice.

#27     Oct 22, 2008
  8. FWIW: I've found the XEONs to be signficantly faster for what I do, than equally equipped Pentium systems. (Not arguing with Landis, who gives good advice).

I posted comparisons a while back. I can dig them out if there's an interest

#28     Oct 22, 2008
  9. gnome

gnome

The C2Ds and quads are also faster than P4s... a comparo of Xeon and dual/quad core seems of interest...

#29     Oct 22, 2008
  10. From the link below:

... "Dual core or Quad core?
    Trading software will not use more than 2 CPU cores; so a quad core will not run your charts faster. It is better to have two fast cores rather than four slower cores in most cases. Buying an F-19 (3.41GHz) dual core saves you more than $200 over an F-11 with a quad core (3GHz) and the faster CPU speeds will do a much better job of keeping up with high volume days.
    The F-38X is a specialty model with 8 CPU cores for special situations."...

Note these Core2Duo and Quad core computer config comparisions, including a Xeon, at Trading Computers:

http://www.tradingcomputers.com/TCdesktop.html

#30     Oct 26, 2008