Dell, my last purchase and done with them

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by taclander, Mar 31, 2011.

1. I have a few HP computers. If this would make you feel any better... HP is doing similar thing. If you call for tech support, and especially late at night (after 5pm PST)... almost guarantee that you would reach someone in India to answer your call. Courteous... in a strange way. (Definitely not "American"). Some would repeat everything you said. Some would tell you every step he/she is doing (but solving your problem). Don't let the Christian-like first names fool you. They are all instructed to grab an "American" name. Jacks and Jills.

#11     Mar 31, 2011
  2. ...Can't stand all the "free" crap-tastic software they load onto retail store machines.

#12     Mar 31, 2011
  3. use online support chat. then you don't have to interpret plus they email you the record of the chat.

#13     Mar 31, 2011
  4. schizo

schizo

Within the last ten years, I purchased 2 notebooks (Inspiron and Latitude) and 1 desktop (Inspiron) from Dell. Considering the higher price tag, Latitude did fare better than the Inspirons, which were truly horrible. The Inspiron desktop died on me only a few days after the warranty expired. It turned out the mother board was defective and when asked how much it would cost me to replace it I was quoted a price higher than what I paid for the damn thing. The Inspiron notebook came with bad battery (remember the numerous recalls?). Lastly, the Latitude notebook that I used mostly for nonessential tasks suffered a complete blackout one day. The culprit: bad external power adapter or the "brick", without which you couldn't recharge the battery. But here's the real crap that finally made me trash Dell for good. Unlike other manufacturers, Dell makes different bricks for different models--even among different models within the same Latitude series!

I've since used Sony, Gateway, and Toshiba. Never once was there a problem with the hardware. You might think Dell is cheaper than their competitors but when you consider how inferior their products are it might actually cost you more in the end.

Oh, BTW, I belatedly realized that there really is no difference between Dell's business line (Latitude) and their end-user line (Inspiron). They both have the nearly identical hardware specs but are marketed differently to fool the gullible buyers. And they have too many damn models. Shame on them.

#14     Mar 31, 2011
  5. jprad

jprad

The first and last word in business laptops: Thinkpad.

You get what you pay for...

#15     Mar 31, 2011
  6. Eight

Eight

Macbook Pro, forget all the pc shit except for business, put the pc behind a whitelisting firewall and it will never have a problem...

#16     Mar 31, 2011
  7. Macbook is no more secure than a laptop with Windows 7 now and maybe less so I'm afraid (I'm no fan of Windows either). Macbook was the first to be hacked at the most recent Pwn2own contest... At least you should not have a false sense of security that Macs are still immune from security issues, which may have been the case a awhile ago but no longer...

If you want a secure OS get Linux from a company that sells it pre-installed. MacOS is Unix based but unfortunately Apple does not take security as seriously as the open-source community does.

Safari/MacBook first to fall at Pwn2Own 2011

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/safarimacbook-first-to-fall-at-pwn2own-2011/8358

Linux was not challenged at 2011 Pwn2Own but here are the 2010 results, again MacOS came in last.

Linux: Unhacked
    Leopard OSX: 2 Minutes
    Windows Vista Ultimate: 2 Days

I'm not bashing Macbooks or MacOSX just stating facts and I think Apple makes nice products but just not secure ones.

#17     Mar 31, 2011
  8. I bought from Dell as the computer I use for everyone day stuff(the one I'm typing on now) is a Dell, and to be honest it is 7 years old and still running. I have another Dell desktop that is 5 years old. My Dad's Dell is 5 years old also. I should have tried chat like was mentioned, as I did use it when I was purchasing it and had an informative agent.
    I didn't say the computer was dying, just there was an issue with the McAfee license, and it was a nighmare to resolve a simple problem.
    I am no Apple fan. I can buy Intel inside for alot cheaper with a Windows box. I could buy high end components and use a Linux system, or Windows and still be cheaper and more powerful than an Apple.
    At the same time my kids I Pod Touch is pretty stinking amazing! I never said that and I disavow any knowledge of that statement. :D

#18     Mar 31, 2011
  9. ehsmama

ehsmama

why should Dell Care about US customer. All business growth comes from India and China...US graph going down fast...So better be ready for more attitude from all companies.

#19     Mar 31, 2011
  10. Yeah, we got one for our kid also and sit back in amazement at what it can do. iPod Touch is a great little device. Kids of the upcoming generation will be so much more technology savvy than we are right now. They will look back and laugh at the stuff we used to put up with from our computers :).

#20     Mar 31, 2011