Dell Dimension---multi-monitor question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gotta_trade, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Diode

Diode

I'm a bit confused here.

You're talking about a video splitter, which is a device that allows you to drive several monitors with the same feed, like when you walk into an electronics store and see a wall of monitors all showing the same picture.

I believe what everyone else here is talking about, when they refer to a "multi-monitor" setup, is where each monitor has an independent feed, generated by one or more video adapters in a single computer. Thus with three 1280x1024 monitors you effectively have a 3840x1280 desktop - enough space for lots of charts, your trading app, a browser window or two...

But then you mention nView, which would be used in a true multi-monitor setup such as I just described. So can you clarify just what kind of "multi-monitor" setup you have? Thanks!

#11     Jan 26, 2004
  2. Did you buy the card via ebay or similar? I did this and ended up with an OEM IBM card and no support. Next time, I'm going to make the seller specify if its a true Matrox card, and I'll want the box, etc. This drives the price from $10 to $100 or more, but worth in imho. Eventually I managed to run the card, and still do (g450).

Jay

#12     Jan 26, 2004
  3. You can buy $8 matrox mill pci cards on ebay and they work fine. They also work with g450 or g400. You don't need to bother with deleting or downloading drivers, just use the xp setup. The display will expand over as many screens as you have cards for.

#13     Jan 26, 2004
  4. I believe that your stock Dell-4600 will provide you with a dual-output AGP video card with 64mb of RAM, that is NVidia based.

Why not just connect 2 monitors to your new Dell and see how you like that first. Forget about Matrox, forget about splitters, forget amplifiers, etc.

Just use Windows-XP and NVidia's NView to run the 2 monitors and be able to DRAG things back and forth, from one screen to another. You will be VERY happy with the outcome, I'm sure.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_nview.html

#14     Jan 26, 2004
  5. i'mlong

i'mlong

My 4600 came with a Ati Radeon 9800 for dual monitors. If I wanted to add another monitor, do I have to buy another identical card? Or can I just get another cheaper Radeon card? I need to find the easiest solution without the costs getting out of hand.

#15     Jan 26, 2004
  6. Just find a PCI slot card that is made by ATI Radeon, and that should do it.

#16     Jan 26, 2004

7. Listen,
    My appologies! My partner is certainly not as tech savy as he thinks he is; he dosen't know what he's talking about... The "*nView" card does support dual display, But the splitter only mirrors one of them for our store front.

I promise not to let him post again!:D

P.S. He is right though, in that, Dell support is VERY poor.

#17     Jan 28, 2004
  8. Diode

Diode

Thanks for clearing that up.

BTW, my experience is that while Dell's "Home/Home Office" tech support is poor, their "Small Business" support is quite good.

#18     Jan 28, 2004