dell 5150 with extra video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by T3-Jeff, Apr 20, 2006.

1. T3-Jeff

T3-Jeff T3 Trading Group

Just a follow up.....

I purchased a genuine card and installed it. Nothing!! I actually bought two of the same computers and neither worked. So I broke down and called Dell. After an hour on the phone changing settings and cards around, he concluded that either the motherboards were bad or that the chipset doesn't support dual video cards. They are sending a tech guy to my office with a new motherboard to test it out. Seems a little strange that the chipset would be that way. Its a Dimension 5150
    Pentium® D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB). Anyway, I will keep everyone posted so there is a record on this board in case someone has the same problem.

Jeff

#11     Apr 22, 2006
  2. chartie

chartie

Here’s what I did on a 8400 with PCIE primary:

Go to BIOS>Video>Primary Video, change PEG to PCI then reboot.

Good luck :)

#12     Apr 22, 2006
  3. I'd really appreciate knowing what this Dell tech's inspection/test finds. Thanks! :)

#13     Apr 22, 2006
  4. T3-Jeff

T3-Jeff T3 Trading Group

I will do that. They are coming Monday.

Jeff

#14     Apr 22, 2006
  5. i have the same penium d chip on my 2 e510's and just got 2 dual head video cards isntalled. it took the tech a while to do as there was a conflict between there video cards and the one's i bought. i've very suprised dell is sending a tech out for video cards that aren't there's. didn't the video card the computer came with work ?

#15     Apr 22, 2006
  6. T3-Jeff

T3-Jeff T3 Trading Group

Yes, the Radeon upgraded card that I got through Dell did work. But when I put any other Radeon card in either PCI slot either 1) the computer won't boot or 2) the computer won't recognize it. They think the motherboard might be bad. Do you know what the tech guy did to resolve the conflict? Thanks.

Jeff

#16     Apr 23, 2006
  7. I just bought a 3100, and Im having similar problems. When I called dell they told me the motherboard on the 3100 doesnt support dual monitors - great.
    If I switch it for a 5150, or e510 or something that comes with a card that has 2 outputs (one digital, and one analog), can I just buy an adapter for the digital output, and run 2 analog monitors from this single card?
    Also, I assume that this would provide a large virutal desktop, rather than simply providing the same image on both monitors?

#17     Apr 23, 2006
  8. T3-Jeff

T3-Jeff T3 Trading Group

Yes....i have the 5150 with the upgraded card from Dell. One output is a regular VGA and the other is a DVI. All you do is get the VGA to DVI converter piece and you are good to go. Now, if you want 2 video cards, thats the big question!!

Jeff

#18     Apr 23, 2006
  9. iw as told the dell 3000 wouldn't support dual video cards 1 year ago and that was wrong. take it to a shop and i promise they can put it in. there's conflicts with many of the dells when you put the video cards in but it can be done. i just had 2 double cards put in my new e510 so now i 6 outlets

#19     Apr 23, 2006
  10. T3-Jeff

T3-Jeff T3 Trading Group

Hey joeyata,

Do you know what they did to your e510 to get it to work??? I would definitely appreciate any help. Thanks,

Jeff

#20     Apr 23, 2006