Dell 22inch LCD vs. 24inch UltraSharp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by booyah, Aug 28, 2007.

1. I recently ordered a new Dell system and am getting a pair of the Dell 22" - one of which should arrive the end of this week.

When I researched 22" FPDs, the prices for over 22 brands some with multiple models ranged from around $200 to $350 or more and the dizzying range of features varied over the lot.

Acer, for example, had three 22" models ranging in price from $206 to $240, all with a one year warranty. The Dell 22" comes with a three year warranty. The $240 Acer seemed closest to the Dell. Increase the warranty for the Acers' and the price goes up. So the discounted $270 price with a three year warranty seemed to put the Dell 22" in a competitive range with the middle of the 22" models - not the top of the line ($350) but not the bottom end either ($200).

I chose to save the extra $$ that a 24" (Dell or other brand) would cost. And since I was ordering a new system, getting both FPDs from Dell gave some more leverage to negotiate a lower overall system price. And I have one less vendor to deal with. If you're just getting the FPD, these may not be issues for you.

There were a bunch of comments from people on this board that seemed to like the Dell 22" and I just didn't have time to visit a bunch of stores to check out other vendors models in person. - so I went for it. Clearly, some people feel the picture quality difference of the Ultrasharp is well worth the price and some don't. I'm hoping the 22" works out fine for me. Good Luck.

#11     Aug 29, 2007
  2. i just upgraded to a dell2407wfp-hc.
    was running an IBM 21inch CRT.

the new dell is very nice.
    :)
    just hooked it up ~ 1 hour ago.

bb

#12     Aug 29, 2007
  3. booyah

booyah

Hey Bubba,

I just checked it out at the Dell store and it looks really nice. How much did you pay for it ? Dell used to have their "online coupon codes" but nothing now.

I can't find it for less than 569 before tax and free shipping.

Hope you enjoy it.

Did you try watching TV on it ?

#13     Aug 30, 2007
  4. gnome

gnome

Perhaps the best liked all around in the 24" size is the BenQ FP241WZ... the Dell is a good choice too according to most buyers.

Until recently all the 24", used a quality VA or IPS panel. Now, makers are trying to appeal to the gamer market with 24", TNs.

If the price is about $400 or less, probably a TN. If $550 or more, higher quality panel.

Good luck.

#14     Aug 30, 2007
  5. Personally, the WIDESCREEN does not give you much in the way of width. It's practically a misnomrer. Sure, there is more length, but the width is essentially the same as a regular "format" LCD screen that is one size smaller.

Check the dimensions first and you will see what I mean. In the end, I'd stay with a regular "format" and avoid the widescreen.

#15     Aug 31, 2007
  6. GaryN

GaryN

I got a Westinghouse 22" widescreen on sale at Best Buy for 159 bucks a few weeks ago. I dont know how it would perform for gaming,or tv. etc. but for charting it works great. Hard to beat for the price. 1680x1050.

#16     Aug 31, 2007
  7. Gyles

Gyles

Interesting indeed! Had researched the internet and was surprised that Dells’ LCD Monitors have very good reviews right from 19” to 24”. Moreover, Dell also offers UltraSharp Monitors which are also highly rated.

However, there are other LCD Monitors that are also good and fit the bill like:
    Acer, Samsung, ViewSonic, HP, Planar.

A comprehensive list of the various kinds of LCD monitors can be accessed in the following URL:
    http://www.mysimon.com/11536/LCD-Monitors.html

Moreover, I had the view that sharp contrast monitors were required for gaming purposes or high detailed graphics software and not for this trading field. So, how does it really help?

#17     Sep 7, 2007
  8. I think having a higher resolution monitor does help. The difference is like the older PCs versus the newer ones, better performance and speed. Even the software has changed dramatically from earlier times.

Changes in hardware, software are complementary. When hardware was capable of faster speeds, more powerful software and operating systems were developed. Hence, better monitors have come up.

Looking from point of trading, having faster software that can show graphical results in smaller time frames is always appreciated. However, to see these kinds of graphs, you require higher resolution monitor.

#18     Apr 12, 2008
  9. I use only Samsung. Best response time and clarity IMO. Also the prices are not bad if you get them online.

pricegrabber.com

Right now I have a setup of 4 931BWs. LOVE them.

#19     Apr 12, 2008
  10. 11Blade

11Blade

I own 6 2407FPW's, all upgrades from 19's and 20's. They (the 24's) are worth every penny.

Samsungs, Viewsonics and a Dell 20 had nothing on these monitors.

good luck.

#20     Apr 12, 2008