deleting new threads

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by dtrader98, Dec 10, 2009.

1. I've found that I have a certain period of time to edit thread content (like 20min or so). However,
    1) I am not able to edit the thread title
    2) Not able to delete the thread within
    the same window (in fact, I've never been able to delete a thread I've started at any time).

I end up putting none or ignore or something. I've seen this as long as I can remember.

My question is, is this intentional (not allowing self deletion of threads in any window of time), or is there something amiss? If it is intentional, it doesn't seem efficient because it causes posters to click on an empty thread.
    ----------------------------------------
    example, this came up after selecting delete on a thread that was a few minutes old...
    [​IMG]

Also, I can edit the content, but the title ignores any editing.

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The reason why you can't delete a thread is because you don't own it. Although you are the thread starter, there may be many other replies in the thread that are not yours. So it wouldn't be fair to those people to have their posts deleted because of some arbitrary reason you have for killing the thread.

Regarding your title question, only moderators can alter a thread title.

-Baron

3. ok, at least I understand the rules then.
    I thought maybe I might have been doing something wrong. I didn't think about the
    idea that many posters could reply in a
    20 min or so window and it would be unfair to them, but I see your viewpoint.

Anyways, the best way to deal with it
    (other than thinking a bit more before posting) is to simply put ignore if it hasn't been quoted yet.

thank you.

4. And I am sure some thread starters would also like to delete a thread because they might not like a reply :D

5. l2tradr

l2tradr

Like that time when you, under a different alias (rcanfiel), tried to sell a $250K system? Say thank you to mr Baron for allowing you to stay ;)