Defragmenting your hard disk

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by NickBarings, Aug 10, 2006.

1. GTS

GTS

One thing that many people don't realize is that virus scanners (for the most part) only detect known virii/malware.

If I write a trojan from scratch and roll it into a utility program (register cleaner for example), no virus scanner in the world is going to emit a peep when it scans it.

On the plus side, the majority of malicious folks out there couldnt write a trojan, they just take existing code and re-use it, re-package it.

However my point is this, just because your virus scanner says that something is "clean" all that means is that it did not detect the signatures of any known malware. It doesn't mean that it is clean.

Another point I'd like to make is that programs like defragmenters and registry cleaners have the very real possibility of trashing your system if they are buggy (unlike most apps whose bug's damage is limited to just the files that the app works with directly)

There are a couple of good mainstream defragmentation products out there in addition to the free version that comes with windows. Stick with them. The benefits of defragmentation are overstated for most people with typical disk access needs.

Registry cleaners pray on people's mental image that a PC with a lot of left over crap in the registry are slowed down a lot by it. By in larger that is false. The PC doesn't read registry entries that aren't used - registry entries are read when a specific program needs to access to it.

The risk of deleting something that is actually needed far outweighs the potential slight performance benefits of registry cleaning.

If you have abused your machine with so many software installs/uninstall that you think it needs "cleaning" then its time to just bite the bullet and do a fresh OS install - can't get any cleaner than that.

#31     Aug 13, 2006
  2. Anytime Pal.

#32     Aug 18, 2006
  3. Just found an excellent defragmenter. The best i ever saw and for FREE!
    Even moves system files to the beginning of the disk.
    And the best news is that after defragmenting the disks everything keeps working.

http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/

#33     Dec 27, 2006
  4. gnome

gnome

1. If you're going to use a 3rd-party defragger, try these... (1) Raxco PerfectDisk, (2) Diskkeeper [WinXP has a lite version of this]

2. When to use a Registry Cleaner?... as a last resort. That is, you're to the point of saying, "if a registry clearner can't save me, I'll have no choice but to reinstall the OS". *Sometimes* cleaners actually fix some of the problems. (You'll probably want to use one which claims "repairs registry"... maybe it does, maybe not... but you're already one step away from having to reinstall the OS anyway.)

FWIW... I've formerly used the very popular CCleaner, but my results have *always* been unsatisfactory.

#34     Dec 27, 2006
  5. One of these days you guys ought to consider trying Linux and you won't have to deal with any of this de-fragmentation nonsense, or other Micro$oft bullshit.

Not a flame, but rather public awareness information. If you'd like, you can very easily have both Windows and Linux on your computer at the same time. Feel free to ask me how to get started. For most it's pain free.

Don't forget, there's well over 15,000+ free pieces of openSource software that is also available.

Here's my last post on this subject.

Support OpenSource,
    -kt

#35     Dec 27, 2006
  6. The program that i use most of the time is Tradestation.
    Doesn't run under Linux. So the choice was very easy.

#36     Dec 27, 2006
  7. gnome

gnome

Ditto.... DEATH TO LINUX!!

#37     Dec 27, 2006
  8. Right, unfortunately some vendors don't see the future yet. I understand that. That's why I mention the dual-boot arrangement of having both seamlessly integrated on your computer.

It's as easy as going to the web-site; downloading the cd; popping it in your player at boot; and clicking the install button. Ubuntu/Kubuntu is smart, and can repartition your disk and align your master boot record (without disturbing your current disk files or any Windows configurations) to give you the option of which operating system you'd like to use when you hit your computer's on button. See the link in the post above (if you haven't done so) and feel free to ask me any questions.

Always glad to help, even though time is always tight for me.

-kt

#38     Dec 27, 2006
  9. #39     Dec 29, 2006
  10. MattF

MattF

#40     Dec 30, 2006