Deflation-stealth in '08 shows face in '10

Discussion in 'Economics' started by deadbroke, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Ed Breen

Ed Breen

Deadbroke, I agree with most of what you are saying and showing in your own way. The draw out of the narrative is bit tedious for me because I am already there, but please enjoy yourself and blow off charge.

#41     Aug 5, 2010

2. >>>> I am already there <<<<

meaning? :)

#42     Aug 6, 2010
  3. Becky and Carl yakety-yaking about ....

if big D be here already and we didn't know it was in the back door

its already toooo late

:) :D :D

#43     Aug 10, 2010

4. Excellent! :) :D

#44     Aug 13, 2010

5. Its more than a safe haven currency. Its a champion. Look at the beating it took from 2001 to the low in 2008. Everyone was writing him off, calling him a reprobate. Then look what Benny did to him, poured green ink all over him and tried to ruin his image.

But he fcked 'em all.

And what's more, the second place contender is who, where, what, say what?

Maybe his reign will end some day, but not till this GREAT BEAR ends!!!

#45     Aug 13, 2010
  6. Some more practical observations

Since Deflation results from a contraction in the quantity of outstanding debt .....

Real-estate crashed in 2005, the stock market crashed in 2007, and commodities crashed in 2008. Despite trillions in bailouts and coddling, the highs are still not taken out. PPI and CPI's roc is still near zero.

M3 (money supply, actually credit supply) has turned down.

15% of US home mortgages are either delinquent or in default. Mortgages are the bedrock of banks' assets. Banks don't lend freely when their assets are collapsing in value.

#46     Aug 15, 2010
  7. In hyperinflationary times, people are desperate to get rid of their wheelbarrows full of money.

In deflationary times, people are desperate to obtain money. Today, it is difficult to get anyone to part with a dollar. Homeowners can't make mortgage payments. Employees are taking pay cuts. Retailers are cutting prices. And jobs are scarce.

Even as monetary authorities urge banks to lend, Congress has curtailed credit by passing laws to regulate bank loans, reduce banks' proprietary trading, restrict profits from credit card fees, oversee credit-rating services and restrict the size of financial institutions. This trend is the opposite of the government's expansionary policies of the late 1990s and early 2000s, and it is deflationary. Recklessness contributed to inflation; conservatism will curtail it.

Monetary authorities have done everything they can think of to bring back inflation, and they are failing. Central banks face a problem they facilitated: There is too much doomed debt in the world.

#47     Aug 15, 2010
  8. observing the HERD ........

Most people seem to believe monetary authorities can and will inflate away all this debt. But one leading indicator should give pause. According to Trade-Futures' Daily Sentiment Index, the percentage of bulls among traders of gold futures in May hit 98%. This record-high reading suggests inflation has been widely anticipated and is therefore not likely to be the next big event.

conclusion: Prepare for Deflation, not Inflation.

#48     Aug 15, 2010
  9. dont

dont

Hyper inflation comes only from the excessive printing of money. Problem the Govies round the world have now, is that their debt is all short term or close to short term, when inflation kicks rates will jump.

So you are right they have throw the baby and the bathwater at this and result no inflation, I have to think though how bad would it have been if they hadn't but now its time to let the invisible hand work its magic and let the weak banks and companies die, time to let the strong thrive, otherwise we have zombie land

#49     Aug 15, 2010
  10. Buzzed

Buzzed

I disagree. The full transaction adds MONEY to the economy. Thus lower value to the economy, which results in inflation.

A more valuable economy would have deflation. Everything purchased on credit is costing a premium. Future pricing of goods and services must adjust to these realities. This creates the bubble. Bubbles as everyone well knows by now are NOT VALUABLE.

Less credit is good credit.

#50     Aug 15, 2010